BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tomvincent
Fluorite | Level 6

Anyone know what happened to that?  it used to be at http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/A_Poor/Rich_SAS_Users_Proc_Export but that's a dead link.

I don't know if it would work on Linux but I'm willing to try.

10 REPLIES 10
SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

You can find the "A Poor/Rich SAS User’s Proc Export" paper at 1793-2014.pdf (sas.com)

May the SAS be with you 🙂

Mark

Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users
tomvincent
Fluorite | Level 6
That's where I started. It refers to the missing wiki link.

WHERE TO GET THE MACRO
We did our best to only include carefully written and tested code, but the code may have to be updated from time to
time to correct for errors or enhancements that we or others might discover. Additionally, while a copy of the macro is
included in this paper, copying and pasting from a pdf file often introduces stylish looking quotation marks which
aren’t correctly recognized by SAS. As such, we created a page for the paper on sasCommunity.org. The page
includes copies of the source code and updated versions of this paper. The page can be found at:
http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/A_Poor/Rich_SAS_Users_Proc_Export
SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

So, then, this is probably most of what you're looking for:

Papers/exportxl.sas at master · art297/Papers (github.com)

Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users
tomvincent
Fluorite | Level 6
that looks more promising...I'll give that a try...thanks.

I wonder what happened to that wiki site and why it was nuked... 😞
Quentin
Super User

I forget the reason, but sascommunity.org was nuked several years ago.  There was an effort to migrate much of the content here to articles, but not sure how successful that was.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mark Keintz presenting History Carried Forward, Future Carried Back: Mixing Time Series of Differing Frequencies on May 8. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
tomvincent
Fluorite | Level 6
I ***HATE*** when companies do that. They should just keep the old pages and set them to read-only. grrr...
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Working with the volunteer team that managed sasCommunity.org, we moved most of the unique/popular content to this community site and decommissioned the sasCommunity.org site. It was hosted on a 3rd-party platform -- which has a cost in both fees and people to manage. The traffic had reduced considerably, especially after much of the content moved here. It was a long process but all those involved agreed it was the right time to do this.

More information about exportxl is here. I reviewed the code recently and I think it relies on SAS code to generate VB Script to automate Excel. Effective method, but that won't work on its own on Linux.

We usually recommend ODS Excel to people who need more control over the Excel documents they create: formatting, formulas, etc. However ODS Excel always creates a new workbook file, and cannot update existing spreadsheets.

One possible approach (which I have not tried) in SAS Viya is to use the Python library called OpenPyXL. You would add this Python library to the Python installation where SAS Viya runs, and then use PROC PYTHON to alter the Excel file with Python code. You could use SAS to generate the values you need, then PROC PYTHON to drive those values into a spreadsheet file, and then publish/download the Excel file where you need it.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
tomvincent
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks, Chris. I think a better solution would have been to host the archive of sascommunity.org within the communities.sas.com website...no cost to manage at all.

I think I suggested years ago that SAS have the ability to write to a range (since it can *read* from one)...maybe fix that damned white space bug at the same time...:(
Reeza
Super User

@tomvincent wrote:
I ***HATE*** when companies do that. They should just keep the old pages and set them to read-only. grrr...

It wasn't company managed, people managed aka open source.

tomvincent
Fluorite | Level 6
Even worse. Unlike the 'supreme' court, I'm convinced that companies are comprised of people.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 5 in conversation