BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
amrino
Calcite | Level 5

I have tried everything above, but not working. I have disabled defender's real time protection and added the SASHome folder to exclusion list, also added sas.exe to defender firewall list, but the problem still there.

pdebanes
Calcite | Level 5
Same for me

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
shayne
SAS Employee

For everyone encountering this error: SAS Technical Support continues to work with Microsoft on identifying the root cause of this issue however we don't have a consistently valid workaround to share yet. 

Here is a workaround that can mitigate the behavior on some machines:
1) Browse to your the following location C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\core\sasext
2) Right click on tkelsproxy.exe and select properties
3) Go to the Compatibility Tab and tick the Run this Program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8. Then hit OK
4) Start SAS 9.4 (English). You will likely see the Java errors on the first launch, but if this is the case, close SAS and reopen it. Often the 2nd launched session does not have the Java errors. If you get a session without Java errors at the top of the log, you can use this session to execute procedures that use Java, like proc reg or surveymeans. Also if you restart your machine, you will likely have to launch a few SAS sessions before you will get one without the error.

It's also important to understand that you can use the SAS session with the Java errors in the log without issue unless you need to execute code that uses Java (anything that generates ODS output for example).

For the users who have found that turning off Windows Defender Real-Time Protection resolves the issue for you:
Many users are reporting that the issue is intermittent. It's possible that turning off this protection is not resolving the issue, rather it's the fact that you are opening a 2nd session (after you add the exclusion). Next time you get the error, please try closing and re-opening SAS as that may work without disabling any security software.

dylsmith
Fluorite | Level 6
I just opened and close SAS 10 times in a row without changing the windows defender settings, and got the error message every time. I then stopped real time protection, and opened SAS with no problem. It is true that after I do this, I can re-enable defender and open and close SAS without problem--at least for a while. It is also true that on one occasion SAS did not open correctly even after stopping Defender. It did open with no errors the next time I tried.

So not one to one but there definitely seems to be a strong correlation.

Please note I am using Windows 10 (64 bit) not 8. I see some of the replies are about 8.

Don't know what else to say. Stopping Defender works for me just about every time. Maybe it is just random, in which case I can only hope my luck holds.

Thanks for your efforts in getting a fix for this!

m_dash
Fluorite | Level 6

For me, after following the instruction to modify the tkelsproxy.exe as instructed.  It still did not work.  I had to uninstall and install Norton Security, then excluded SAS from the Norton firewall.  It works.  Not consistently, but it works with about 90% reliability.

pdebanes
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you very much! That solved my problem. 

cpax
Calcite | Level 5

Kudos -  tkelsproxy.exe fix solved the issue

wi77777
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you very much!

just see the Java errors on the first launch,there is no error again after i turn off and reopen sas!

Hiroshi_ohtsu
Calcite | Level 5

I use SAS 9.4(TS1M4) in Japanese.

Unfortunately, I could not solve this problem in your way. 

cws
Fluorite | Level 6 cws
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you. I got this error after the latest Windows 10 update.

I started SAS 5 times and on the 6h attempt it opened without the error message and I have been able to use ODS RTF without a problem. I shall keep an eye on this one as it will be tedious having to do this every time I start SAS.

josephrajvikas
Calcite | Level 5
tkelsproxy.exe Worked after launching sas several times
ccd
Calcite | Level 5 ccd
Calcite | Level 5

I have tried all of these workarounds, and none has worked for me, including the "tkelsproxy.exe" fix, futzing with firewalls and anti-virus, system restore, etc. 

I called SAS support today, and the tech I spoke with had no workarounds other than the "open SAS, close SAS, open SAS" method which has not worked for me.  

The SAS technician mentioned they use Windows 7. I suspect they will become more aware of the problem as more users upgrade to Windows 10.  This is a serious problem that hopefully SAS is working feverishly on. While it only affects SAS functions that use JAVA such as ODS, those are some very important SAS functions.

***Update May 27*** I spoke with a SAS support manger on May 26. He convinced me that fixing this is a top priority for them and said they will be following up with everyone who filed a ticket on this issue.  

Jim_from_Canada
Calcite | Level 5

The tkelsproxy.exe properties modification works, but only intermittently. I can't discern any clear pattern of which "opens" work. We need a permanent fix for this annoyance.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

There are a lot of people following this thread, and unfortunately the problem is not yet solved (as of this writing).  SAS Tech Support has issued a SAS note (which even refers to this thread...so, nice job everyone!).  Here's the SAS Note:

SAS Note 60323: Java errors due to the Windows 10 Creators Update might occur when you invoke SAS

Invoking SAS® 9.4 M3 or later on a Windows 10 machine might result in Java errors. The problem is caused by the Windows 10 Creator Update and can also affect SAS client applications such as SAS® Enterprise Guide®.  You might see errors such as SAS Enterprise Guide has stopped working.  The issue can be intermittent or consistent.  

Here are the error messages displayed in the SAS log window when SAS is invoked:

ERROR: The Java child process terminated unexpectedly: status -1073741502.
ERROR: Failed to attach to Java during SAS startup.

Circumstances under Which the Issue Is Known to Occur

• The Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1703, OS Build 15063) is applied on a Windows 10 machine on which a SAS 9.4 M3 or later installation had been functioning properly
  • SAS 9.4 M3 or later is installed after the Creators Update has been applied to a Windows 10 machine

SAS is currently working with Microsoft on this issue to determine the root cause. This SAS Note will be updated when additional information is available.

Even though the problem is not yet solved ... the SAS note offers some workarounds, and you might also check this reply from Shayne in Tech Support with some helpful steps.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats