BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ODENWALD
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi community and SAS support :  It's now  June  12, 2017 ::

Is there a solution to this very nasty problem ?

It was reported about  April, 20, 2017.

Odenwald

ccd
Calcite | Level 5 ccd
Calcite | Level 5

Agreed--We have been waiting for a solution. When I spoke to SAS support about 3 weeks ago (in late May), I was assured that fixing this was a top priority for SAS. We are still waiting. Could we at least get an update on the progress toward a solution?

ODENWALD
Obsidian | Level 7

EXACTLY. I would wish that more users express their dissatisfaction.

Does anyone know if there is another in some sense major software system afflicted as  SAS  is ?

Whose to bless (no one), who's to blame

-  is it a deliberate act of  MS   (-->  there are anti-trust rules and courts  ....)

-  is it  (was it)  laziness on SAS's side 

-  your best bet ?

Odenwald

j262byuu
Calcite | Level 5

I reinsalled win10 ltsb 2016, problem solved.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Not surprising as this bug was introduced in April 2017 when Microsoft released Win 10 Creators Update.

Note to impatient users - you can always go back to an earlier version of Win 10 if this problem is a major inconvenience. If my understanding is correct then a fix to MS Win 10 and / or Java is required. Getting other vendors to help fix problems is going to take longer than fixing your own bugs. SAS have officially stated that they are giving this issue very high priority. That doesn't necessarily mean the other vendors will as well...

ccd
Calcite | Level 5 ccd
Calcite | Level 5

Going back to an earlier version of Windows 10 did not work for me. It was as if everything was reset to the earlier version except for Window's relationship with the SAS program. None of the multiple suggested hacks has worked for me.

I understand the difficulties that SAS must have in trying to solve a problem working with the corporate behemoths of Mircrosoft and Oracle. But yes, I am becoming impatient given that it has been over 2 months and there is not a peep from SAS about any progress to date. It would help if someone from SAS would provide updates on their progress. 

Jim_from_Canada
Calcite | Level 5

Hi again, I just wanted to update my last post. After about 6-7 intermittent false starts, the fix recommended by Shayne, is now working fine. That is, the error no longer appears. I am repeating Shayne's workaround here for those that have not tried it...

1) Browse to the following location C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\core\sasext
2) Right click on tkelsproxy.exe program and select Properties. 
3) Go to the Compatibility Tab and tick the box Run this Program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8.

4) Hit OK
5) Start SAS 9.4 (English).

You will likely see the Java errors on the first launch, but if this is the case, close SAS and reopen it. Often the 2nd launched session does not have the Java errors. If you get a session without Java errors at the top of the log, you can use this session to execute procedures that use Java, like proc reg or surveymeans. Also if you restart your machine, you will likely have to launch a few SAS sessions before you will get one without the error.

Good luck!

ODENWALD
Obsidian | Level 7

Jim :  Congratulations to you .

I just did as you suggested. And Opened and Closed  SAS  seven times. No effect whatsoever. Error message keeps popping up on top of SAS-log.  Should I say a certain mantra  as  'Carolina on my mind'  ?

Odenwald

ccd
Calcite | Level 5 ccd
Calcite | Level 5

I retried the tkelsproxy.exe hack, and it still does not work for me, even after 20-25 openings/closings of SAS. 

[I even went commando and tried this same hack on all 4 of the applications in the 9.4/core/sasext folder.  Did not work.]

I am posting so that SAS is aware that this hack does not work in all cases. I am happy for those it helps but it is important for SAS to realize it does not work for everyone. Nothing has worked for me at all, not even intermittently. And all the SAS functions I need use Java.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi All, I can offer only an unofficial update based on the conversation I see here inside SAS.

- The problem has been confirmed as a bug introduced by Microsoft with the Win10 Creators Update.  The Microsoft change was meant to fix something else, and this was an unintended side effect. Boo. (As a software developer...I've been there.  Still frustrating, I know.)

- SAS developers have been working with Microsoft to identify a workaround that SAS can apply.  That change has been made in SAS modules and testing looks good.  Hotfix packaging is underway and undergoing final testing.

- SAS will probably release the hotfix to a few customers to verify "in the field" before releasing widely.  No one wants to release a fix that doesn't truly address the issue.

- MIcrosoft will also have to fix the issue in a future Windows update, but the SAS fix does not depend on that.  I don't know the Microsoft timetable for preparing that fix.

I'm sorry that I can't offer a precise release timeframe, but I'd guess it to be days away (not weeks).  Again, totally unofficial here -- I've been out of office and haven't had a chance to discuss with those involved. 

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
cws
Fluorite | Level 6 cws
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks CHris. I shall keep on using the "continuous start up method"!
I am keeping a log of the number of attempts it takes before I get a
clean start up.

Caroline (cws)

ODENWALD
Obsidian | Level 7

There is a big progress.

Unofficial remark: I acted as field-tester  and could give my OK. Where nothing had helped before. E.g. I never had MS Defender active, but  NORTON.  As the remedies that helped some persons were extremely diverse, a  productive version hotfix needs thorough testing by SAS staff.  But I have no information about the feedback of other field testers. If they all could give their OK  a solution is near.

Odenwald

TheCarsForever
Calcite | Level 5

I support a sizable number of users with many experiencing this issue with SAS 9.4.  Is there anyway we can get added to a testing group?  I would be able to report back on 10-20 systems within a couple hours of receiving the beta hotfix.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @TheCarsForever - you could open a track (send mail to support@sas.com), cite your problem/symptoms, and ask for an early preview.  However, I'm hopeful that the official fix will be available Real Soon Now, so this request might not save you any time.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
TheCarsForever
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Chris - I just submitted a ticket (7612152611) and will hope to hear back soon.  As I have a decent pool of users with the same problem I am hopeful I can help get them going as well provide valuable feedback on the hotfix being tested.  Thanks again!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats