BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
prolifious
Obsidian | Level 7

on my unix box, 

/home/.../sas $

/home/.../sas $ runsas mysasprogs/myprog.sas

how do i deal with the "runsas" statement in cron?

i've tried

45 8 27 1 * /home/.../sas/mysasprogs/myprog.sas

45 8 27 1 * /home/.../sas $ runsas mysasprogs/myprog.sas

these arent working.. any help on how to deal with the runsas statement?

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User
/home/.../sas $ 

This is your UNIX prompt. This don`t belong in your crontab.

runsas mysasprogs/myprog.sas

This is your command. This is what you need in the crontab.

But I would make sure that all files in a crontab are called by their absolute pathname (starting with the root - / - directory), as the current working directory of a crontab job might be different from the one you were in when testing.

prolifious
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you very much...yes you're probably right.  I'm working with your advice, i'll get back soon.  I really appreciate your help.

prolifious
Obsidian | Level 7

totally correct about the script.  I spoke with someone within my shop and they're going to help me with that.  This is not as straight forward as I was initially told.  I've never worked with scripts before, so i need to start now!  Thanks again for your help.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I like to create a shell script (example: sasdaily.sh) file with all of the SAS jobs that I want to schedule at once.  Looks something like:

/usr/local/bin/sas_u8 -nodms -sysin "/u/myid/project/job1.sas"
/usr/local/bin/sas_u8 -nodms -sysin "/u/myid/project/job2.sas" 

To make this file executable, you need to run chmod (example: "chmod +x sasdaily.sh").  Then when I need to change/add the SAS jobs I'm running, I can just edit the .sh file and not mess with the crontab scheduler.

You can also combine a "change dir" command in your crontab with this as it runs:

30 06  *   *   1-5   cd /u/myid/project && ./sasdaily.sh

Then your logs/listings are grouped where you expect them, with your SAS files.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation