BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Hoz
Calcite | Level 5 Hoz
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I'd like to try the residual analysis after chi-square test.
But I can't find the procedure of residual analysis in SAS.

Do you know the procedure name of residual analysis?

Thank you for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Please be a bit more precise.  What sort of chi-squared test, and how did it come about?  Ordinarily, I don't think of residuals AFTER a chi-square.  I might use a chi-square to compare the cumulative distribution of the residuals to a theoretical distribution, but those residuals would come from some sort of linear model.

Steve Denham

Hoz
Calcite | Level 5 Hoz
Calcite | Level 5

Hi steve,

Thank you for your response.

The  summarized table of 3 x 4  was analyzed by chi-square test.

There was significant differences among 3 groups as a result of the analysis, but we don't know which one has difference.

So I want to try residual analysis to know the significant difference of each cells.

Thank you,

Hide

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

You should get a copy of Agresti's Categorical Data Analysis.  It goes over this in detail.  Here are some of the key elements:

1.  This is not residual analysis, as considered by most statisticians.  It is subset analysis.

2.  After running a full table and finding that there is a significant association between rows and columns, pick out the columns you wish to compare for a pairwise analysis.  Here I assume rows are responses and columns are groups of some sort.

Steve Denham

Hoz
Calcite | Level 5 Hoz
Calcite | Level 5

Hi steve,

Thank you for your good advice.

I will read the copy recommended you.

Columns is groups of age such as 30-40,41-50,51-.

I hear pairwise (each other) analysis in more than 3 groups is prone to appear significant difference.

Regards,

Hide

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Yes, that is a consideration.  To control this, you may wish to adjust the p values. Please look at The MULTTEST Procedure Example 61.5 Inputting Raw p-Values for an example of how to adjust for the comparisons you choose.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation