BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Idunnu
Calcite | Level 5

i was wondering..... is there was a sas procedure to test for confounding in a longitudinal study?

5 REPLIES 5
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Define confounding in this context.  It has several meanings in the statistical world.

Steve Denham

Idunnu
Calcite | Level 5

okay... the equation of my study is

HamiltonDepressionScore=week lndesipramine lnimipramine endogenous  week*lndesipramine

i want to see if gender(categotical) will be confounding in the relationship between HamiltonDepressionScore and lndesipramine for instance. i want to know if theres something i can observe to test this, like the pvalue or the standard error of something. i dont know if that explains anything

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Maybe I am not understanding well, but I think you are looking to see if there is an interaction between gender and the other variables.  There are several PROCs that will enable you to do this, so my next question would be whether you can post your current code (just the analysis procedure part would do).

From that, we can make suggestions to get gender into the model and see if the effects of the other variables are consistent across gender.  It would also help to know a bit more about the dependent variable--I suspect that it is an ordinal variable, so the best analysis probably ought to consider that.

Steve Denham

djmangen
Obsidian | Level 7

There are a host of different models that are available in SAS that are applicable to issues involved in the analysis of longitudinal data.  And, as Steve Denham points out, the term "confounding" has several meanings in a statistical sense.  I further suspect that given the nature of your data and the issues you are investigating that the applicable theory driving the research also has something to say about the "confounding" and how it should be addressed in a statistical sense.

David Mangen

djmangen
Obsidian | Level 7

In addition to not referencing gender anywhere in the existing equation, I also note that there does not appear to be any method of controlling for baseline status on the Hamilton Depression Score (assuming that some change-related modeling is central to the analysis).  That could very well be a function of the proc that is being used, however.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation