BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GreggB
Pyrite | Level 9

I want to create a model to examine the relationship between 7 independent variables and 1 dependent variable.

The dep var is EverRetained. Values are Y/N.

The  independent vars are  gender (M/F), lunchstatus (F,R,P), GTstatus (Y/N), IEPstatus (Y/N), 504status (Y/N), LEPstatus (Y/N) and RR (Y/N).

I know the type of variables determine how I should proceed but I'm sure if a regression model is appropriate. I conducted a chi square comparing the dependent var to each indep var separately. 5 of the 7 tests returned a p-value less than 0.05

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

A first approach that ignores any interactions would look like:

proc logistic data=yourdata;
class gender lunchstatus gtstatus iepstatus 504status rr;
model everretained(event='y') = gender lunchstatus gtstatus iepstatus 504status rr/clodds=both;
run;

However, I am sure that interactions between the independent variables exist, and should be modeled.  Use your prior knowledge about which interactions are of interest.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

A first approach that ignores any interactions would look like:

proc logistic data=yourdata;
class gender lunchstatus gtstatus iepstatus 504status rr;
model everretained(event='y') = gender lunchstatus gtstatus iepstatus 504status rr/clodds=both;
run;

However, I am sure that interactions between the independent variables exist, and should be modeled.  Use your prior knowledge about which interactions are of interest.

Steve Denham

GreggB
Pyrite | Level 9

Ok, now I'm looking for the part of the output (odds ratios?) so that I can conclude something like "males are 1.5 times more likely to be retained than females."

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

That would come from the odds ratios, yes.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation