BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RCPenguin
Calcite | Level 5

I have two groups of each gender and I need to compare two sets of scores for one gender each (a and b class for gender 0 & c and d class for gender 1).  In comparing these scores, I am looking for the differences between the two scores with a large sample size (~50 samples). My question is should I be attempting to use a nonparametric method (like that of a WIlcoxon ranked sum test) or a parametric method (like that of a T-test).  T-test shows the difference of the means as evident from the output file I ran, while Wilcoxon Ranked sum seems to give me variable data on the Wilcoxon scores for each class. Any help would be appreciated.

P

1 REPLY 1
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

T-test inference assumes normality within classes. Wilcoxon doesn't, at a small loss of power. 50 is not quite large a sample size (sorry) for deciding on a distribution. It usually turns out that both parametric and non parametric analyses give the same inference when parametric hypotheses are true. Disagreement between the two is a sign that parametric assumptions (i.e. normality, homoscedasticity) are not met or that the data includes outliers.

PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation