BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RCPenguin
Calcite | Level 5

I have two groups of each gender and I need to compare two sets of scores for one gender each (a and b class for gender 0 & c and d class for gender 1).  In comparing these scores, I am looking for the differences between the two scores with a large sample size (~50 samples). My question is should I be attempting to use a nonparametric method (like that of a WIlcoxon ranked sum test) or a parametric method (like that of a T-test).  T-test shows the difference of the means as evident from the output file I ran, while Wilcoxon Ranked sum seems to give me variable data on the Wilcoxon scores for each class. Any help would be appreciated.

P

1 REPLY 1
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

T-test inference assumes normality within classes. Wilcoxon doesn't, at a small loss of power. 50 is not quite large a sample size (sorry) for deciding on a distribution. It usually turns out that both parametric and non parametric analyses give the same inference when parametric hypotheses are true. Disagreement between the two is a sign that parametric assumptions (i.e. normality, homoscedasticity) are not met or that the data includes outliers.

PG

PG

SAS Innovate 2025: Save the Date

SAS Innovate 2025 is scheduled for May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. Sign up to be first to learn about the agenda and registration!

Save the date!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

SAS Training: Just a Click Away

Ready to level-up your skills? Choose your own adventure.

Browse our catalog!

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation