BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Piers_C
Calcite | Level 5

I have used PROC MIXED to fit a repeated measures spatial model to some spectrogram data (i.e. time-frequency representations). The datasets are quite large, 10800 data points. Following the advice stom Steve Denham in an earlier post, I checked the distribution of residuals. Despite looking like a very nice gaussian distribution, the skew is -0.016 and kurtosis 1.347. The Kolmogorov-Smirnov D test = 0.0185 Pr > D <0.0100. So, strictly speaking this distribution departs significantly from normal. I assume that the reason for this has more to do with the (relatively) large sample, and that I probably should not worry. Nevertheless, being a worrier i would really appreciate some advice.

Many thanks in advance

Piers_C

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

As you say, the K-S test will reject for such as large sample. Clearly the residuals are symmetric, which is probably the most important feature. There is evidence of kurtosis, which could mean a heavier-tailed distribution of errors, but might also indicate slight heteroscedasity. 

Without seeing the data, this looks like a good fit. If these were my data, I would plot residuals versus explanatory variables. Do any of the patterns of residuals look "fan shaped"?

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

As you say, the K-S test will reject for such as large sample. Clearly the residuals are symmetric, which is probably the most important feature. There is evidence of kurtosis, which could mean a heavier-tailed distribution of errors, but might also indicate slight heteroscedasity. 

Without seeing the data, this looks like a good fit. If these were my data, I would plot residuals versus explanatory variables. Do any of the patterns of residuals look "fan shaped"?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation