BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
svh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 svh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

How does one in SAS 9.4 generate the 20th percentile of a normal distribution with, say, a mean of 500 and standard deviation of 50? In R I call: qnorm(.20, 500, 50)

I have a bunch of percentiles of reading achievement scores, and I need to convert them to to scale scores.

I'm looking throughout the documentation and can't seem to find a way...unless I need to use PROC IML first, but I'm not very good with that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Does the value of X look like what you want:

data junk;
   x = quantile('normal',.2,500,50);
run;

The SAS Quantile function takes as the first parameter the name of the distribution, there are about 25. Then the quantile of interest and then distribution parameters. If you leave off the mean and standard deviation the distribution for Normal will assume 0 and 1.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

Does the value of X look like what you want:

data junk;
   x = quantile('normal',.2,500,50);
run;

The SAS Quantile function takes as the first parameter the name of the distribution, there are about 25. Then the quantile of interest and then distribution parameters. If you leave off the mean and standard deviation the distribution for Normal will assume 0 and 1.

svh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 svh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Nice! I read about that function, but did not get that I could implement it that way.
ballardw
Super User

@svh wrote:
Nice! I read about that function, but did not get that I could implement it that way.

Understand. Most of those other distributions really want one or more parameters and the examples using Normal in that function don't show the optional mean and std dev.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation