BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
wernie
Quartz | Level 8

I have a data set that contains the variables: age sex n pop area period. So the initial dataset looks something like this:

sex     age         area       n       pop        period

1          1             3         20      20          1995

1          1             2         5        275        1995

1          1             1        10       300        1995

1          2             3        8         310        1995

1          2             2        26       280        1995

Age goes up through '12' and then this is repeated for sex '1' and '2' and areas '1', '2', and '3' for each calendar year through 2011. So after importing the Excel sheet, I deleted age and sex because I first want to do analyses just by area over time (then later by age group). I was told that the formatting of the data in Excel might be why I am getting some errors when I go to do the negative binomial regression, so I wanted to try deleting age / sex and then summing n and pop for each area for each year (e.g., sum of n and sum of pop for areas 1, 2, and 3 respectively for 1995, 1996, and so on).

I tried sorting the data set by area and period and creating new variables 'nsum' and 'popsum' and counting by using:

'if area=1 and period=1995 then;

do;

nsum=0;

popsum=0;

end;

nsum=nsum+n

popsum=popsum+pop

However, then I still have one row for each age group / sex that has now been deleted and I only get area 1 and period 1995 back in the output. For example:

area        period         nsum          popsum

1             1995           450              2890

1             1995           200              1200

1             1995           130               680

1             1995            222             1354

I saw some examples online for how to collapse observations by group, but I am not sure how to sum observations by area AND period so I need to figure out what that code should look like. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

"I was told that the formatting of the data in Excel might be why I am getting some errors when I go to do the negative binomial regression"

If you can be more specific then may be someone can help you with fixing your data and you don't need to go for a work-around.

As for your specific question : There is no need to drop variables only because you want to use all of them. You could do the summing in a data step but there are also multiple SAS Proc's which can do this job with less coding for you. Below one possibility using PROC SQL.

data have;

infile datalines truncover;

input (sex age area n pop period) (:8.);

datalines;

1 1 3 20 20 1995

1 1 2 5 275 1995

1 1 1 10 300 1995

1 2 3 8 310 1995

1 2 2 26 280 1995

;

run;

proc sql;

create table want as

select area, period, sum(n) as nsum, sum(pop) as popsum

from have

group by area, period

;

quit;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

If you are okay with proc sql then following may generate what you are looking for.

proc sql;

create table want as

select period,area,sum(n) as nsum,sum(pop) as popsum

from have

group by period, area;

quit;

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

"I was told that the formatting of the data in Excel might be why I am getting some errors when I go to do the negative binomial regression"

If you can be more specific then may be someone can help you with fixing your data and you don't need to go for a work-around.

As for your specific question : There is no need to drop variables only because you want to use all of them. You could do the summing in a data step but there are also multiple SAS Proc's which can do this job with less coding for you. Below one possibility using PROC SQL.

data have;

datalines;

1 1 3 20 20 1995

1 1 2 5 275 1995

1 1 1 10 300 1995

1 2 3 8 310 1995

1 2 2 26 280 1995

;

run;

proc sql;

create table want as

select area, period, sum(n) as nsum, sum(pop) as popsum

from have

group by area, period

;

quit;

wernie
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks! PROC SQL worked for that.

As for the errors bit that I mentioned, there are a few. So with the data summed, I have variables area, period, nsum, and popsum. For the negative binomial regression, I am using the log of popsum, so logpop is the fifth variable, created by:

data want1;

set want;

logpop = log(popsum);

run;

So the data set then looks something like:

area                                 period                                 nsum                             popsum                                     logpop

1                                        1995                                   10002                         39012                                       10.57162

1                                        1996                                   9574                           40626                                        10.61216

1                                        1997                                   7983                           40100                                         10.59913

1                                        1998                                   11298                         41943                                          10.64406

With areas '1', '2', and '3' having data for each year from 1995 through 2011. So to run the regression (for which the main interest is to see if area and period together are significant predictors of nsum, that is, if n varies over time AND between areas), I did:

proc genmod data=want1;

class period area;

model nsum=area period area*period /dist=NB link=log offset=logpop type1;

run;

So the first thing I was told is that there may be some errors because of the zeros in the goodness of fit box. I've inserted images of the output (I skipped a couple of pages where it's going through the estimates for period and area) to show an example of what I mean. The p-value for LR Stats for Type 1 Analysis for the period*area interaction comes back as 1.000, which is a problem, but I don't know why it is returning that result (I don't know if this has to do with the zeros in the goodness of fit component or not, but there are no cells with missing values and there are 51 observations all with fairly large nsum and popsum values so I don't think that it would be due to small numbers).

Once I started working with some of the age group data, I started getting some Hessian errors, but I think that is because the cell numbers are too small so I need to combine some age groups.

Examplep1.jpg

Examplep2.jpg

Examplep3.jpg

Thanks again!

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Oh, so this is more about understanding what and why Proc Genmod returns such results and not actual data issues. Not my area.

I suggest you post this as a new question in one of the Analytics forums. You will likely get the best advice if you can provide/mock-up some sample data and code with creates such "issues".

Just as a side note: You can also calculate your log() directly as part of the SQL as done below.

data have;

datalines;

1 1 3 20 20 1995

1 1 2 5 275 1995

1 1 1 10 300 1995

1 2 3 8 310 1995

1 2 2 26 280 1995

;

run;

proc sql;

create table want as

select area, period, sum(n) as nsum, sum(pop) as popsum, log(sum(pop)) as logpop

from have

group by area, period

;

quit;

Harry48
Calcite | Level 5

Try:

proc summary data=your_data nway;

class area   period ;

var n pop;

output out=mysums sum= nsum popsum;

run;

proc print data=work.mysums;

run;

Unless you need "by statements" you do not need to sort the input to proc summary;

If you add age and sex to the class statement and drop the nway option from the proc statement you will get all possible classifications of your class variables;

You can then use the value of _type_ in the output data set to select which classification scheme you want to explore for further analysis;

(I believe that you have a typo in lines 1 & 2 of the code your are presenting.)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation