BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
PMJ1908
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, I'm a new user and glad  SAS is available.  I am using secondary data set.  I want to find out the size of my target population.  I have saved data set.  My question is using SAS University Edition, how do I find out the size of the target population?

Thank you.

PMJ1908

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

Describe the data set that you intend to get that information from.

Likely it in will involve summing a count variable but we need lots more information for more of an answer.

Reeza
Super User

What's a secondary data set? 

PMJ1908
Calcite | Level 5

A secondary dataset refers to existing data that was collected for purposes that are different from the original purpose.

Reeza
Super User
Ah, we use the term administrative data. The population in that case usually refers to general pop so without knowing your more info we can't help. For example, for the child welfare database, the target pop would be all kids in the province.

Also, for SAS, the term secondary data has no specific value. Data is data, the fields, type, and structure are more important.
PMJ1908
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Reeza.  Today, I had no problem uploading the attached data notpad file.  However, I am trying to identify the total sample population.  I am not sure how to do this.  In addition,  I want to isolate the target sample population.  The cases are  stratified by new applicant, two-parent or ongoing families for sampling states.  My questions are: 1)  In SAS, how do I find out the total sample population?  2) How do I isolate cases i.e. women, ages 18-55, African American? 2) how do I determine the number of cases in each strata?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation