BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
glough
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all

I was wondering how/if it was possible to specify the Y-intercept in Proc GLM?

I have been looking everywhere for a solution.

I need to set the intercept at 100.

I have a very simple model:

PROC GLM data; Class line; Model BW1= Log_CFU_Total*LINE / solution; run;

Any ideas/tips would be very much appreciated as I am totally stuck!

Thanks!

i

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

If you run the GLM model I suggested, get the slopes out and plug them into an equation that looks like %BW = 100 - log_cfu_total * slope estimate for LINE (based on the NOINT model) what do you get?  All of these lines should converge on 100.  They might not look like the best fit to the data, so plotting the residuals of the constructed equation would be very informative.

Since there is a log transform of the independent variable made me think of PROC NLIN as a valid alternative.  Again you would need to code the LINE variable (0,1 type coding), but then a model statement that looked like:

model BW1=100 - (beta_1*Log_CFU_Total*LINE_1 + beta_2*Log_CFU_Total*LINE_2 + ... + beta_N*Log_CFU*LINE_N);

should give you what you need (I hope).  You could get this back on the original (non-log transformed scale) if you wanted, but I would really worry about heterogeneous variances then.  In any case, NLIN doesn't require a non-linear function, and it is a good place to fit "unusual" looking equations.

Steve Denham

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

What would happen if you subtract 100 from every value of BW_slaughter to get the variable BW_slaughter_minus_100 and fit:

PROC GLM data; Class line; Model BW_slaughter_minus_100 = Log_CFU_Total*LINE / solution noint; run;

This is untested, but it's about the only way I see to stay in PROC GLM.

If you can code up LINE as a set of dummy variables, then PROC REG has a RESTRICT statement, where you can set intercept=100.  I get comparable results from both methods, but you should check to see which best fits your needs.

Steve Denham

glough
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Steve

Thanks for your prompt response!

I have tried both methods, which sadly do not work with my data.

To explain, my BW variable is %Body weight. So, this must start at 100%, and decrease as CFU increases.

Despite trying these methods, the lines still do not cross the Y-axis at the same point.

Is there anything else you could recommend?

Thanks again!

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

If you run the GLM model I suggested, get the slopes out and plug them into an equation that looks like %BW = 100 - log_cfu_total * slope estimate for LINE (based on the NOINT model) what do you get?  All of these lines should converge on 100.  They might not look like the best fit to the data, so plotting the residuals of the constructed equation would be very informative.

Since there is a log transform of the independent variable made me think of PROC NLIN as a valid alternative.  Again you would need to code the LINE variable (0,1 type coding), but then a model statement that looked like:

model BW1=100 - (beta_1*Log_CFU_Total*LINE_1 + beta_2*Log_CFU_Total*LINE_2 + ... + beta_N*Log_CFU*LINE_N);

should give you what you need (I hope).  You could get this back on the original (non-log transformed scale) if you wanted, but I would really worry about heterogeneous variances then.  In any case, NLIN doesn't require a non-linear function, and it is a good place to fit "unusual" looking equations.

Steve Denham

glough
Fluorite | Level 6

Got it!! After a little bit of axes altering!

Thank you very much for your advice!

Graham

Somashekhar
Calcite | Level 5
I am running with the PROC GLM model, I need to force the global intercept (constant value) (only vary the independent variables) into the model with the by variables. Does anyone know the SAS code to perform this operation?
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

If you have a known fixed value for the intercept, you can subtract that number from every Y value, and then fit a model with the NOINT option.  

Steve Denhm

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Also, appending a question to a thread that has been marked "Answered" will often result in people by-passing your question.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation