BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Karen
Calcite | Level 5
Does anyone run SAS on a Mac Pro? I need a new computer and this was a suggestion because of its high performance features. I mostly run STAT procedures on very large datasets, often tens of GBs. Or is it better to stick to a really good Windows 7 PC?
2 REPLIES 2
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
I don't see OS X or Windows 7 on http://www.sas.com/technologies/analytics/statistics/stat/index.html#section=5

Because of the volumes you mention, get the fastest disk array you can. The performance will mostly depend on how fast your disks are, passing on those GB of data for processing. And get lots of RAM (which points to a 64 bit OS).
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Mac's are technically not supported except by using the BootCamp software (making the machine a dual boot with XP).

I have had students find that using a Mac with Parallels works fine for SAS 9.1.3 and EGuide 4.1 as well as SAS 9.2 and EGuide 4.2. Since Parallels is an XP emulator, there is a small performance hit.

Windows 7 isn't supported yet, but does work. See
http://blogs.sas.com/sasdummy/index.php?/archives/128-SAS-9.2-and-SAS-Enterprise-Guide-4.2-on-Window...

Spending your money on the fastest disk drive you can get will generally pay off the most for big data. If you are using some of the newer compute-intensive stat tasks (mixed and the Bayesian ones come to mind), then a fast processor and lots of RAM will also help. Generally, I find the processor loafing while SAS is running big data for things like regressions or other deterministic stat tasks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation