BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jaime2
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

This seems like a silly question but I cannot figure out what default scheme is used to assign the "reference" and "focal group" in a typical differential item functioning analysis using PROC FREQ. 

My code is : 

proc freq data=mydata;
tables stratum*gender*item&i./CMH noprint;
output out=item&i. MHCHI COMOR CMH ; run;

My gender variable is not dummy coded and has values = Male , Female. 

Would SAS use Females as the reference group since F comes before M, alphabetically? There has to be a rule documented someplace but I cannot find it. Of course my results are meaningless without knowing this. 

Thanks for any tips or links. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watts
SAS Employee

The ORDER= option in the PROC FREQ statement specifies the order of the variable levels.

The default is ORDER=INTERNAL, which orders the levels by unformatted values ('Female' before 'Male'). 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Watts
SAS Employee

The ORDER= option in the PROC FREQ statement specifies the order of the variable levels.

The default is ORDER=INTERNAL, which orders the levels by unformatted values ('Female' before 'Male'). 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation