BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
khimmelstein
Calcite | Level 5

I am attempting to use SAS 9.4 to generate confidence intervals for basic descriptive statistics (means, medians, relative frequencies) in the U.S. Census Bureau's Current Population Survey. I have downloaded the replicate weight files, and have been using the following code, for example, to derive a confidence interval for the variable "nchild."

proc surveymeans median data = temp varmethod = jackknife;

weight wtsupp;
repweights repwt1 -- repwt160;
var nchild;
run;

However, when I do so, I end up with very wide confidence intervals e.g. a percentage CI of 4.8-15.1% in a cell with 840 unweighted observations. Has anybody else used the replicate weights to generate confidence intervals, and have you calculated similarly wide intervals? Or am I misinterpreting how to use the replicate weights? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

I suggest the question is why you think that is an exceptionally wide confidence interval. I have seen such things many times with similar and larger samples.

Did you look at the variance on data within each replicate of the data? or within subpopulations?

I have no idea what the "nchild" variable represents but guessing that it may have something to do with children in families I might expect older respondents to have no children so including those families may increase the variability of the responses increasing confidence limits. Single male households are also less likely to have any children.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ballardw
Super User

I suggest the question is why you think that is an exceptionally wide confidence interval. I have seen such things many times with similar and larger samples.

Did you look at the variance on data within each replicate of the data? or within subpopulations?

I have no idea what the "nchild" variable represents but guessing that it may have something to do with children in families I might expect older respondents to have no children so including those families may increase the variability of the responses increasing confidence limits. Single male households are also less likely to have any children.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation