BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
emeric
Calcite | Level 5

Dear friends,

I have a database with GDP and energy consumption by country (100 countries). This is yearly data from 1900 to 2015. I would like to perform a global varmax model for the whole scope.

Would you have any idea for doing that ?

Best regards,

Emeric

3 REPLIES 3
gergely_batho
SAS Employee

Sound like an interesssting study.

At your fist attempt you probably will use only a couple of countries.

First you will need to put your data into the following format:

Year GDP_Country1 Energy_Country1 GDP_Country2 Energy_Country2

1990 10                    6                           20                     8 

1991 12                    7                           22                     10

And then... it depends. What is the goal?

Do you want to treat GDP variables as explanatory? Or all variables are Y-s?

Probably there will be high correlation beween variables... but as this is a very long time period, those correlations can change over time. To assess the degree of cointegration will be a challege...

Maybe you could try PROC SSM (more flexible handling changing correlations).

emeric
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. Actually, the model I'd like to perform, in one consistent step, is a two-fixed effect for country and time and a model var ecm on energy consumption and GDP.

What I want to assess is the long run relationship between energy consumption and GDP and Granger causalities.

It can be easily perfomed in Eviews and I am surprised it couldn't be computed in SAS (probably due to my lack of knowledge).

I hope it clarifies. I gonna have a look in the SSM procedure.

Kind regards

Emeric

gergely_batho
SAS Employee

Two-way fixed effects models are available with PROC PANEL.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etsug/68148/HTML/default/viewer.htm#etsug_panel_details0...

But I don't know how to incorporate two-way effects, ecm and causality test in one step (is it possible?).

Maybe VARMAX with country_dummy variables... But then it is just one-way.

The closest example (panel data) in PROC SSM documentation:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etsug/68148/HTML/default/viewer.htm#etsug_ssm_examples11...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation