BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BobHope
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I have data which constructs from two normal distributions (know property). And I am trying to find an estimate for the parameters of those distributions. I have been using proc FMM which works greatly if the two distributions are separatable by eye. However problems arise when the two distributions are close to each other. I understand that this might be a problem, but is there a way to force FMM to assume that when there is only one distribution to the eye, then it would try to find the distribution that should be mulitplied by 2 to get the distribution the data suggests? I have attached two output graphs which are from the FMM with k=1 and k=2 respectively. For some reason the K=2 finds a nonexisting distribution with mean of 5.73 and variance of 0??? I am using SAS 9.4

graphs.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I've written about some of these issues on my blog. Main takeways: if you have small samples, it might not be possible. However, the PROC FMM syntax enables you to specify "hints" about the number of components and even about which observations might belong to each component. So if you have domain knowledge you might be able to specify the PARTIAL= option or the PARMS statement and help PROC FMM determine the components.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I've written about some of these issues on my blog. Main takeways: if you have small samples, it might not be possible. However, the PROC FMM syntax enables you to specify "hints" about the number of components and even about which observations might belong to each component. So if you have domain knowledge you might be able to specify the PARTIAL= option or the PARMS statement and help PROC FMM determine the components.

BobHope
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you for the answer. Indeed this method is possible but it was not that straight forward in my case. Got to say FMM is a great proc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation