BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ethid
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I am a sas beginner and I wanted to do the following. I have a variable "int" that has integers and when I run proc freq on it I get how many observations are associated with each variable. For example:

int              Frequency

0.17           1123

0.92           156

1                 2300

1.42            2152

1.67            635

I want to create a new variable that multiplies int*frequency. I then want a total sum of this new variable. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

If you step away from PROC FREQ for a moment, you can get this from your original data set directly:

proc summary data=original nway;

class int;

var int;

output out=want (keep=int total) sum=total;

run;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20
data have;
input int              Frequency;
cards;
0.17           1123
0.92           156
1                 2300
1.42            2152
1.67            635
;

proc sql;
create table want as
select *,int*frequency as multi, sum(calculated multi) as sum
from have;
quit;
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

proc summary data=have;
    var int;
    weight frequency;
    output out=want sum=;
run;
--
Paige Miller
Ethid
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all, thank you for the help! It seems you are suggesting I make a new data set where I manually enter the "int" and "frequency" values. I have hundred of  "int" values however so it would take me a while to run proc freq on int then create a dataset using the frequency proc freq generated for me. is there another way to do it that doesn't involve me manually creating a new dataset?

thanks!

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Ethid wrote:

Hi all, thank you for the help! It seems you are suggesting I make a new data set where I manually enter the "int" and "frequency" values.

This is entirely a different issue. Nowhere did I suggest you make a new data set. You can do this with your existing SAS data set.

I have hundred of  "int" values however so it would take me a while to run proc freq on int then create a dataset using the frequency proc freq generated for me.

This is not correct, PROC FREQ ought to run quickly. It won't multiply the values as you requested.

is there another way to do it that doesn't involve me manually creating a new dataset?

You don't have to make a new dataset.

--
Paige Miller
Astounding
PROC Star

If you step away from PROC FREQ for a moment, you can get this from your original data set directly:

proc summary data=original nway;

class int;

var int;

output out=want (keep=int total) sum=total;

run;

EEng
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

You can add this to the end of your Freq table statement.

tables int / out=xx;

data new_result;

set xx;

new_data=int*count;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation