BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
podarum
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, is there a procedure of code in SAS where I can get reference ranges?
For example I have 20 cities with home prices for each month for 2 years for each city.

I do have the standard Deviation and the Coefficient of Variation, but am looking to see if a range of the Prices are more in an optimal range then others.. almost like identifying outliers.  So for example if the range of City-A is between 300,000 and 500,00, is optimal, anyhting outside of that range is considered an outlier, or whatever term you may call it.   Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Try the UNIVARIATE procedure. It identifies your lowest and highest values plus percentiles, means, medians etc. You could use a BY statement on your city variable to look at percentile variations between cities.

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Typically a 'reference range' is an external number that is not derived from the data.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Agreed, Doc.  But how about generating that reference range for the 'first' time?  Lately, I have been tasked with doing something like that with historical control data in tox studies.  UNIVARIATE is my tool of choice--normality testing, percentiles, etc. Ultimately, I want to incorporate this info as a prior distribution for some Bayesian analyses.

Steve Denham

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Steve,

Often the "reference range' comes from historical controls.  Sometimes from specific analysis of known normals (typical for clinical lab tests).  I worry about podarum's approach of using the 'study data' to derive the ranges, particularly for housing prices (we know they have been problematic over the last several years).

Doc

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Doc,

I agree about using 'study data' for ranges--it's like using EDA methods as confirmatory stats.  Of course you find something, you just spent 15 hours digging around looking for anything shiny.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation