BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChrisLoebach
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to fit dispersal functions to seed trap data gathered in the field. Seed traps were placed at intervals of increasing distances from a single seed source. I am trying to fit dispersal functions to the data that describes the probability of a seed landing at a particular distance. Below is the code I created for fitting a Negative Exponential (NE) function with PROC NLMIXED. The parameter a needs to be estimated. The parameter D is the distance from the seed source. The xb line is the NE function. Mu gives the expected seed count at a distance by multiplying the dispersal function (xb) by trap area (tarea) and by the total number of seeds dispersed (q). The variable tarea is offset variable and both tarea and q are known quantities. There is a random effect (u2) because I replicated the study at 3 sites.

proc nlmixed data=count; title "NE";

parms a=.0001,.001,0.01,0.1,1,10,100,1000,10000, 100000,1000000 s2u=1,10,100,1000,10000;

xb=((1/(2*3.1415*(a**2)))*(exp(-(D/a)))) +u2  ;

mu=exp(xb)*tarea*q;

model count~ poisson(mu) ;

random u2~normal(0,s2u)subject=source;

predict mu out=results;

run;

My questions are: 1) is the code correct for calculating the parameters of the dispersal function?

2) Is the random effect in the correct location? Could it be placed at  mu=exp(xb)*tarea*q + u2;?

If anyone has experience with dispersal functions and could offer any insight, I would be very thankful!

1 REPLY 1
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

The placement of u2 will depend on your assumption regarding the variability due to site.  Where you have it now, it enters essentially as a multiplicative error--probably a reasonable assumption given the distribution.  Moving it to the alternative you propose means an additional (above residual) additive error.  You might want to consider one other alternative--that the parameter a comes from a distribution with error dependent on site.  This would result in:

xb=((1/(2*3.1415*(a**2)))*(exp(-(D/(a + u2))))

This sort of parameterization is more common in pharmacokinetic models where there is additional variability due to patient/subject, but may be appropriate here.

Hope this helps some.

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation