BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sjtcharlotte
Calcite | Level 5

I have a format catalog that was made in 32 bit SAS. In the past I have had to have someone with 32 bit SAS convert it to 64 bit SAS compatible to get it to work.

Is there anything new in SAS 9.4 that will help with this problem? Like a way for SAS to read the 32 bit file now without converting it?

Thanks --

Sara

9 REPLIES 9
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Sorry, I don't think so, But when looking, the documentation is not very clear about catalogues from the same release (it is?) but different bit. But you probably need to access the files from a 32 bit SAS. But if you have a license for Windows (I presume), you can get a license for 32-bit SAS as well, But it requires some extra work installing a separate Base SAS.

Data never sleeps
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

With catalogs you have to be at the same version and on the same SAS OS-version. Having forgot one will make the content inaccessible.

Your only hope is someone still running at that SAS Version and OS converting that for you.   Using an cport cimport can give other problems as your encoding better to say encoding must be exchangeable. A latin-1 encoding to an utf8 sas based version is not possible.   UE is for example running SAS in utf8. There are differences with what most people are still doing.

As catalog are often used for compiled sas objects the original as code could be your way out. Yes I know sas-code can be saved in catalogs and scl types are catalog only.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Best thing would be you get access to the code which creates these format catalog entries. If you can get such access then the only thing you would need to do is re-run this code in your environment and store the result in a library of your choosing.

And here another option for Windows (and yes, if it's more than just changing the bit-ness then there might be additional challenges).

44047 - Format catalogs must be converted when moving from a Microsoft Windows 32-bit operating syst...

ballardw
Super User

It is probably too late for this but I have set up all of my code that creates permanent format catalogs to also create a dataset using the CNTLOUT option. Then if such a conversion comes up again I can recreate the formats using Proc Format with CNTLIN.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

ballardw as you have your code that is creating the permanent format catalog, why is that code not permanent saved at the OS level so you can use it later?

ballardw
Super User

Jaap, this is a belts AND suspenders approach. I have the code as well. But if I send a copy of the library to an archive and forget to send the code, which is not kept in the same physical location, then I have a recovery option even without the 32-bit/ 64_bit issues.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

ballardw, it is good approach as another safety belt. Would like that as a standard approach.
I am educated a little bit different. There should be a release management process.
That implies source (code object or whatever) and runnable versions (eg formats) should get a production status, it should been verified they belonging together, at least done by with test/acceptance promotion deployment step.  This is for more professional approaches becoming more and more a requirement.  The version management at development for coordinating the bigger teams of developers.

I know this cannot be done that way when you are on you own, the only one of doing this work with sas.   

rcwright
Calcite | Level 5

Did you try SAS support?

ShaneRosanbalm
Obsidian | Level 7

There is an article on support.sas.com about how to handle this using CPORT/CIMPORT.

38339 - SAS® file compatibility when upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit Microsoft Windows

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 7 in conversation