BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BchBnz
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello everyone,

I am trying to run this code:

proc logistic descending data = dir.liseuro_d;

model treat = cap /lackfit outroc = ps_r;

output out= ps_p XBETA=ps_xb STDXBETA= ps_sdxb PREDICTED = ps_pred;

run;

But I get back an error message about Java.

I reinstalled Java but it's still not working. I have SAS 9.3 (32)

ERROR: The Java proxy is not responding.

ERROR: The Java proxy's JNI call to start the VM failed.

ERROR: Unable to load the Java Virtual Machine. Please see the installation instructions or

system administrator.

ERROR: Unable to load the Java Virtual Machine. Please see the installation instructions or

system administrator.

Here are the details of Java:

12   proc options option=jreoptions;

13   run;

SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 9.3  TS1M2

JREOPTIONS=(             -DPFS_TEMPLATE=C:\Program

Files\SASHome\x86\SASFoundation\9.3\tkjava\sasmisc\qrpfstpt.xml

-Djava.class.path=C:\PROGRA~1\SASHome\SASVER~1\eclipse\plugins\SASLAU~1.JAR

-Djava.security.auth.login.config=C:\Program

Files\SASHome\x86\SASFoundation\9.3\tkjava\sasmisc\sas.login.config

-Djava.security.policy=C:\Program

Files\SASHome\x86\SASFoundation\9.3\tkjava\sasmisc\sas.policy

-Djava.system.class.loader=com.sas.app.AppClassLoader

-Dlog4j.configuration=file:/C:/Program%20Files/SASHome/x86/SASFoundation/9.3/tkjava/sasmisc/sas

.log4j.properties

-Dsas.app.class.path=C:\PROGRA~1\SASHome\SASVER~1\eclipse\plugins\tkjava.jar

-Dsas.ext.config=C:\Program

Files\SASHome\x86\SASFoundation\9.3\tkjava\sasmisc\sas.java.ext.config

-Dsas.jre.libjvm=C:\PROGRA~2\Java\JRE16~1.0_2\bin\client\jvm.dll

-Dtkj.app.launch.config=C:\PROGRA~1\SASHome\SASVER~1\picklist          -Xms128m

-Xmx128m           )

Java Runtime Environment options

Any idea how to fix it??

As always, thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASkicker
Fluorite | Level 6

Editor's note:  For SAS 9.2 and SAS 9.3 installs on a Windows system, a Java proxy error or “unable to load the Java virtual machine” error typically occurs when the –Dsas.jre.libjvm argument in the JREOPTIONS parameter in the SAS configuration file (ie, the SASV9.CFG file) points to an incorrect or non-existent install of the Java JRE.

The solution below provides the correct value that needs to be placed in the config file for the Dsas.jre.libjvm argument. 

Sorry I see you are using SAS 9.3 not 9.4

To resolve install Java version 7 then -

In the Windows Start Menu, search for “notepad”, you should get the Notepad application as one of the top results. Right-click it and choose “Run As Administrator”.

For SAS 9.3, In Notepad, open the following file: “C:\Program Files\SASHome\x86\SASFoundation\9.3\nls\en\sasv9.cfg”. This is the SAS configuration file that controls many settings for SAS operation.

Amend the line of text startin with Dsas.jre.libjvm to -

Dsas.jre.libjvm=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\client\jvm.dll

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SASkicker
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I suffered the same issue. With SAS 9.4 you have to manually point the Java settings to the correct location. So providing that you installed SAS 9.4 cleanly then copying and pasting the following settings into your sasv9.cfg file should work

/*  Options used when SAS is accessing a JVM for JNI processing  */

-JREOPTIONS=(

-DPFS_TEMPLATE=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\tkjava\sasmisc\qrpfstpt.xml

-Djava.class.path=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASVersionedJarRepository\eclipse\plugins\sas.launcher.jar

-Djava.security.auth.login.config=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\tkjava\sasmisc

\sas.login.config

-Djava.security.policy=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\tkjava\sasmisc\sas.policy

-Djava.system.class.loader=com.sas.app.AppClassLoader

-Dlog4j.configuration=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\tkjava\sasmisc\sas.log4j.properties

-Dsas.app.class.path=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASVER~1\eclipse\plugins\tkjava.jar

-Dsas.ext.config=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\tkjava\sasmisc\sas.java.ext.config

-Dsas.jre.libjvm=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment\9.4\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll

-Dtkj.app.launch.config=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASVersionedJarRepository\picklist

-Xms128m

-Xmx128m

Files\SASHome\SASPRI~1\9.4\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll

Files\SASHome\SASPRI~1\9.4\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll

Files\SASHome\SASVER~1\eclipse\plugins\SASLAU~1.JAR

Files\SASHome\SASVER~1\eclipse\plugins\SASLAU~1.JAR

Files\SASHome\SASVER~1\eclipse\plugins\tkjava.jar

Files\SASHome\SASVER~1\eclipse\plugins\tkjava.jar

Files\SASHome\SASVER~1\picklist

Files\SASHome\SASVER~1\picklist

)

jrkahrs
Calcite | Level 5

I tried the changes to my config file shown below and it made things worse.  My program logs "occasionally" show the Java proxy not responding error but not always.  Seems to be getting more frequent lately.  I have 4 Windows PC's running batch jobs with SAS 9.4.

I don't get the errors when running interactively, except I did get the Java Proxy error immediately when I tried to the solution shown below.

Thoughts anyone?

SASkicker
Fluorite | Level 6

Editor's note:  For SAS 9.2 and SAS 9.3 installs on a Windows system, a Java proxy error or “unable to load the Java virtual machine” error typically occurs when the –Dsas.jre.libjvm argument in the JREOPTIONS parameter in the SAS configuration file (ie, the SASV9.CFG file) points to an incorrect or non-existent install of the Java JRE.

The solution below provides the correct value that needs to be placed in the config file for the Dsas.jre.libjvm argument. 

Sorry I see you are using SAS 9.3 not 9.4

To resolve install Java version 7 then -

In the Windows Start Menu, search for “notepad”, you should get the Notepad application as one of the top results. Right-click it and choose “Run As Administrator”.

For SAS 9.3, In Notepad, open the following file: “C:\Program Files\SASHome\x86\SASFoundation\9.3\nls\en\sasv9.cfg”. This is the SAS configuration file that controls many settings for SAS operation.

Amend the line of text startin with Dsas.jre.libjvm to -

Dsas.jre.libjvm=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\client\jvm.dll

kidanb_gmail_com
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you!!!

fit2perform
Calcite | Level 5

Hi-I am having this same issue and followed the trouble shooting steps to this point, but there is no config file in that folder.  Where do I find a new one?  I am running 9.3.  The other folder points correctly to this file as the location of the file.

Here is information about Java-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_77\bin\client>java -version
java version "1.8.0_77"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_77-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.77-b03, mixed mode)
 Directory of c:\

04/16/2016  12:23 PM    <DIR>          PROGRA~1     Program Files
04/16/2016  01:05 PM    <DIR>          PROGRA~2     Program Files (x86)
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  13,093,875,712 bytes free

p_piriyakul
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much! Your explanation saves me!

AK2017
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you. It solved the problem.

rschneid
Calcite | Level 5

I am not sure if this thread is being monitored, but I have tried everything else I can think of. 

I have the dreaded msg

ERROR: Java failed to start during the SAS startup.

I am working with SAS Support.  No luck there yet.

I have tried by my count at least 5 different JREs.

I have the following code which I execute after every mod to the config file, which I have modified 30x plus

%put &sysparm;
%put &sysscpl;
%put &sysvlong;
%put &sysaddrbits;
proc options option=CONFIG; run;
proc options option=JREOPTIONS; run;
proc javainfo; run;

The last suggestion was try jre6_181.  That did have one noticeable impact.  My program no longer hangs when in runs 'javainof' which under ever other version it did (hang - permanently).  But it still comes back with an error

last lines of log:

-Dtkj.app.launch.config=C:\PROGRA~1\SASHome\SASVersionedJarRepository\picklist          -Xms128m -Xmx128m           )
Java Runtime Environment options
NOTE: PROCEDURE OPTIONS used (Total process time):
ERROR: Proc javainfo did not run correctly.

Notes:

1. the 181 version that I was given to use has no client directory.  Just Server and the jvm is in there, so its what I am pointing to.  The sas system is finding it I think, based on the output of the rest of the log. I dont think this is related to the issue, because the 4+ other variants of JRE all did have client directories and they all had the same basic problem.

2. this platform is running windows 2008 data center

3. I have a local install on my PC running under Windows 7 Enterprise, which of course is working perfectly

Any words of wisdom or support would be appreciated.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 9 in conversation