BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Keith73
SAS Employee

Hello SAS procedure users. We in SAS Publications are trying to gather some information about how you use our documentation.  We’d really appreciate your help, and hope you’ll take a couple of minutes to answer these questions.

• Are you aware of the syntax index that is located at support.sas.com/documentation/?

• Do you use the syntax index?

• Do you find it helpful?

• Would it help you if we added the options for the procedure statements to the syntax index?

Thanks for your feedback. We’re always looking for ways to improve the documentation for you.

Keith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User
  • Are you aware of the syntax index that is located at support.sas.com/documentation/? - Yes

• Do you use the syntax index? No

• Do you find it helpful? Not much but when I am looking for syntax I often have an idea where it is and look in the locally installed online help. When I am looking for something that may not be locally installed then I tend to use the Help>SAS on the Web>Technical support menu from Base SAS to get to the documentation. I am not a beginning user so that is likely to influence my choices of how and where (as well as what I may be looking for) I search for additional information.

• Would it help you if we added the options for the procedure statements to the syntax index? My personal opinion is that any SAS keyword should bring up something. Example searching for RELRISK (from proc freq) in the index yields no results. When I go the the Technical Support as above I get 173 results. If I have to enter Tables where Relrisk resides there are about 500 results, most of which have nothing to do with what I was specifically wanting to find. Yes the result can be refined but a different starting point gets be closer on the first shot.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ballardw
Super User
  • Are you aware of the syntax index that is located at support.sas.com/documentation/? - Yes

• Do you use the syntax index? No

• Do you find it helpful? Not much but when I am looking for syntax I often have an idea where it is and look in the locally installed online help. When I am looking for something that may not be locally installed then I tend to use the Help>SAS on the Web>Technical support menu from Base SAS to get to the documentation. I am not a beginning user so that is likely to influence my choices of how and where (as well as what I may be looking for) I search for additional information.

• Would it help you if we added the options for the procedure statements to the syntax index? My personal opinion is that any SAS keyword should bring up something. Example searching for RELRISK (from proc freq) in the index yields no results. When I go the the Technical Support as above I get 173 results. If I have to enter Tables where Relrisk resides there are about 500 results, most of which have nothing to do with what I was specifically wanting to find. Yes the result can be refined but a different starting point gets be closer on the first shot.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I refer to the support.sas.com/documentation pages only when I need to give someone a universally accessible reference to SAS documentation. For my own coding needs I consult the help documents residing on my machine. Ideally, full context-sensitive syntax documentation should be available in every SAS code editor. Having a syntax engine on support.sas.com/documentation is just too little, too late.

PG
mohamed_zaki
Barite | Level 11
  • Are you aware of the syntax index that is located at support.sas.com/documentation/?

No

• Do you use the syntax index?

No

• Do you find it helpful?

• Would it help you if we added the options for the procedure statements to the syntax index?

Yes ... I think.

MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi @Keith73,

Thanks for reaching out to the community with your questions. My response:

• Are you aware of the syntax index that is located at support.sas.com/documentation/? Yes

• Do you find it helpful? Occasionally as described above

• Would it help you if we added the options for the procedure statements to the syntax index? Yes!

Thanks,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Count me in as operating like @PGStats.  I know it is there, and if I am pointing out something I can use it, but for my own use, I use my locally installed help utility.

Steve Denham

Reeza
Super User
I google SAS + version + terms. Usually get what I want on first hit.

Since we have a secure lab - no internet access the set up of the built in documentation is very important to us.
Keith73
SAS Employee

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!  I truly appreciate your taking the time to post your responses.

Keith

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 7 in conversation