BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sara_a
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone and Happy Friday,

I'm working with data that does not have a normal distribution nor do response/explanatory variables have a linear relationship. I came across the concept of CQR (copula quantile regression) that doesn't seem to require the assumptions that regular linear regression require. Is there a way to do CQR in SAS? I know there's proc quantreg but I thought that only works for a linear quantile regression. Suggestions?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Ksharp
Super User

Not sure.

You could try PROC LASS which can do nonparameter regression .No need Data Distribution,No need Link Function.

Xia Keshan

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hey xia--did you mean PROC LOESS?

Also, if the original poster has SAS/ETS installed, then PROC COPULA may be of interest.  Quantile estimates are obtained by multi-stage analyses, as outlined in Example 10.1 Copula Based VaR Estimation, which gives quantile estimates via PROC UNIVARIATE after a fair amount of pre-processing using PROC COPULA.

Steve Denham

Ksharp
Super User

Yeah, Steve it is LOESS. I got confused .

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Steve,

You make an interesting observation. I didn't think that PROC COPULA could handle regression-type problems (which have a response variable).  The FIT statement fits the parameters of a copula to model the joint distribution function of the variables, and I never considered looking at conditional means or quantiles of the response, given the other variables.

I found an interesting paper http://www.variancejournal.org/issues/05-01/45.pdf (Parsa and Klugman, 2011) in which the authors mention that they use SAS/IML for the optimization and for some numerical integration that must be performed for the generalized linear model regression example.

The authors provide some simulated data and examples.The motivated SAS/IML programmer could probably replicate their examples.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I think the key to using PROC COPULA is to get away from thinking of independent and dependent variables--just a joint distribution.  Once you take that step, what is given in the VaR estimation example is pretty straightforward (at least compared to time-dependent copulas that the financial guys are modeling these days).

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation