BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tmcrouse
Calcite | Level 5

I figured the SAS gurus might know the answer to this question.

My work computer crashed last monday and I had multiple SAS tables in libraries on my machine. I received a new computer however none of my prior work was on it and had to be taken from the C drive on my old machine. The IT folks put all my data onto four 8GB DVD's. Upon placing those into my new machine and going through the download and extract process, any SAS table that was split between the four disks errored and asked if they wanted me to skip the process or cancel. If I skipped it went to the next unsplit table but as soon as I can to a split SAS table, the error popped up again. It did not even say oh this table is partially on disk 1 and 2 so insert disk 2. I looked at the details of the disk and I would see table final11b on disk 1 and 2. So I know which tables are split. I am thinking that SAS tables cannot be split like this. The entire table has to be stored on 1 disk. Is this something anyone else has experienced???

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Are you using the same software to restore the data on your new computer, that was used to back it up in the first place? If you are not it might explain the error. I would go back to your IT folks with this error as they should be able to deal with this.

BTW SAS tables are just files from an operating system point of view, so any backup/restore software should work without error.

tmcrouse
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks. The IT folks did use the same software to back it all up so they must have done something wrong with the backup because SAS tables that are on disk 1-2 or 2-3 or 3-4 are erroring with the Roxio everytime. So I told them to get me the data again but if it looks as if table is going to be split on 2 disks, stop it or do something so no table gets split. They are going to take the subfolders in the main folder and break it down and look to make sure nothing is over 8GB so that the split does not happen. So odd if SAS tables are just files that it would not split right. Of course these SAS tables are up to 1.8KB in size. Maybe the size of the files has something to do with it. They said I had 23GB of data that was put on the disks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation