BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Mj296
Calcite | Level 5

I hope that somebody could help, as I am fairly new to SAS coding and I am sure this is perhaps really simple. I am looking to show the number of applications received and those rejected between a start date of 1August 2017 and Today’s date (up to 31st July 2018). The date period needs to then be reset (ideally automatically rather than resetting a macro variable) at 1August 2018 for the next cycle i.e. up to 31st July 2019. Additionally, I need to show a daily comparison of current applications compared to those in the previous year. Any pointers would be great!

The dataset I have is structured like this

Stage                     Date

REJ

22Apr2018

APP

01Jun2017

APP

03Jun2017

APP

09Jan2018

REJ

18Apr2017

APP

23Mar2018

APP

20Apr2017

REJ

20Apr2018

APP

05Dec2017

APP

12Mar2018

REJ

17Dec2017

APP

12Aug2017

APP

05Dec2017

REJ

12Mar2018

REJ

17Dec2017

APP

19Nov2017

APP

23Mar2018

REJ

29Nov2017

3 REPLIES 3
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Just create a flag for year:

data want;
  set have;
  do i=2000 to 2040;
    if mdy(8,1,i) <= date <= mdy(8,31,i+1) then active_year=i;
  end;
run;

You then have active_year which you can do summaries and such like on.  Note not tested, post test data in the form of a datastep in future.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Can you please post a sample of your expected output?

ballardw
Super User

@Mj296 wrote:

I hope that somebody could help, as I am fairly new to SAS coding and I am sure this is perhaps really simple. I am looking to show the number of applications received and those rejected between a start date of 1August 2017 and Today’s date (up to 31st July 2018). The date period needs to then be reset (ideally automatically rather than resetting a macro variable) at 1August 2018 for the next cycle i.e. up to 31st July 2019. Additionally, I need to show a daily comparison of current applications compared to those in the previous year. Any pointers would be great!

For some clarification:

Are the dates of interest for comparison always 1 August to 31 July of the following year?

By automatically reset you mean 1) examine the date the program runs and select dates between 1 August (of the current year if between Aug and December, previous year if the current data is 1 Jan ) and 31 July (of the following year if the date the program runs is in August to December or of current year if the date is 1 January or later?

By "I need to show a daily comparison of current applications" do you mean compare 1 August 2016 with 1 August 2017? What kind of comparison do you want to do for dates with no records? Do you collect records on Sundays? If not any record from the previous year whose date is a Sunday in the current period won't have anything to compare with. So you could potentially have 52 days from the previous year with no comparison possible (kind of a high rate).

I would likely start by creating a separate variable that would be the reportdatayear or some such.

In a data step this line:

reportdatayear = year(date) + (Month(date) ge 8);

Creates a yeargroup regardless of the time the program is run. But would allow selecting by its value. For instance: if reportdatayear=2018 would get the 1 August 2017 to 31 July 2018.

For comparison you could select any two years (need not actually be consecutive) with: if reportdatayear in (2017 2018). Use the reportdatayear as a class, classification or similar grouping variable for any analysis.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation