BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Emara
Calcite | Level 5

Hello all,

I am using the NLPNMS call in  proc iml . Could I guarntee that my solution is unique?

Thanks,

Aya

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Use a variety of starting points for the optimization.  See the SAS?IML User's Guide > Nonlinear Optimation Examples > Details > Gloval versus Local Optima.

Steve Denham

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The uniqueness of a solution depends on the function being optimized, not the particular choice of an optimization routine. In general, if you start near a local optimum, you will converge to that optimum (but the beautiful fractals for Newton's iteration show that this is not always the case!)  If your function has several local maxima and you want to find the one that is the global maximum, you can try using initial conditions on a uniform grid in parameter space, as detailed in this article: How to find an initial guess for an optimization - The DO Loop

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation