BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
stevo642
Obsidian | Level 7

Last week I got some help with allocating memory for very large IML arrays. The post got deleted by accident so I thought I'd repost to assist those trying to do that.

In short, IML 14.1 supports matrices with up to 231 elements on the Windows operating system.

I upgraded to 14.1 and have sufficient RAM but a simple "y = j(33000,33000,1);"  wasn't working for me.

IIRC, Rick Wicklin suggested adding "-MEMSIZE 12G" to the shortcut I start SAS with.

I went a little deeper and edited that configuration into my SASv9.CFG file and now I can allocate large arrays on my Win7 16GB RAM machine. Thanks, Rick!

Incidentally, this lets me run much larger Monty Hall simulations -- up to a quarter of a billion sims -- see attached code & results below based on Rick's "DO Loop" Monty Hall example -- and remember to "switch doors"!

proc iml;

t0 = time();

NumSim = 2.5e8;                             /* number of simulated games */

car = randfun(NumSim, "Table", {1 1 1}/3);  /* unknown door hides car */

guess = j(NumSim, 1, 1);                    /* WLOG, you guess door=1 */

show = choose(car=2, 3, 2);                 /* host shows you a goat --> if car behind 2 then 3 else 2 */

switch = choose(show=2, 3, 2);              /* the door you could switch to -- if host shows 2 then 3 else 2 */

winIfSwitch = mean(switch=car);             /* (P(win | switch) */

winIfStay = mean(guess=car);                /* (P(win | do not switch) */

elapsedTime = time() - t0;

print "Monty Hall: NumSim = " NumSim[format=comma12. label=EMPTY]  winIfStay[format=8.6 rowname="   p(WinIfStay)" label=EMPTY] winIfSwitch[format=8.6 rowname="   p(WinIfSwitch)" label=EMPTY]  "   Time in Seconds = " elapsedTime[format=4.1 label=EMPTY];

Monty Hall: NumSim =   250,000,000   p(WinIfStay) 0.333347   p(WinIfSwitch) 0.666653   Time in Seconds =  11.1
6 REPLIES 6
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Completely off topic-- @stevo642, how did you get access to 14.1?

Steve Denham

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

It was released last week!

Here's the What's New for the Analytical products: SAS 14.1 Documentation

And here's highlights: SAS Analytics: Highlights of 14.1, 13.2, 13.1, and 12.1 Releases

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hmm--I would have thought that there would have been a large splash headline on the Communities page...

Steve Denham

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Wait for it...coming soon!

stevo642
Obsidian | Level 7

I got IML 14.1 when upgraded from 9.4 (TS1M1)  to  9.4 (TS1M3)

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I wrote a blog post that describes this issue and the way to resolve it:

Large matrices in SAS/IML 14.1

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

From The DO Loop
Want more? Visit our blog for more articles like these.
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation