BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Minhtrang
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I am running a Cox model with outcome as mortality, and predictor as Magnesium (Mg).

When I treat Mg as quintiles, p-value for this predictor is significant.
However, when Mg was entered into the model as continuous, p-value is >0.05.

I can not find an explanation for this difference. What are next steps to be considered?

I would love to hear from your experience about this problem.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Minhtrang wrote:

Hi all,

I am running a Cox model with outcome as mortality, and predictor as Magnesium (Mg).

I can not find an explanation for this difference. What are next steps to be considered?

Thank you.

There's no reason to think that a model based upon quintiles (in which you are throwing away data) will produce the same result as a model based upon the continuous variable (where you are not throwing away data). In fact, if you have the continuous variable values, I can't really think of a reason why you'd even want to use quintiles in place of the continuous data ... I doubt you could justify this to a reviewer or professor.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

You didn't tell us the actual p-values.  For instance, .04 and .06 are not that different in strength of evidence.

Other things to look at: 

--  Is the effect of mg linear?  A curvilinear relationship can show up as non-significant in a continuous setting.  Looks at your graphical diagnostics.

--  There may be an interaction that you are not modeling.

There are a couple of good SAS Books-By-Users that can lead you through exploring the relationships.

Doc Muhlbaier

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Minhtrang wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you.

There's no reason to think that a model based upon quintiles (in which you are throwing away data) will produce the same result as a model based upon the continuous variable (where you are not throwing away data). In fact, if you have the continuous variable values, I can't really think of a reason why you'd even want to use quintiles in place of the continuous data ... I doubt you could justify this to a reviewer or professor.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Health and Life Sciences Learning

Need courses to help you with SAS Life Sciences Analytics Framework, SAS Health Cohort Builder, or other topics? Check out the Health and Life Sciences learning path for all of the offerings.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation