BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Minhtrang
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all,

I am running a Cox model with outcome as mortality, and predictor as Magnesium (Mg).

When I treat Mg as quintiles, p-value for this predictor is significant.
However, when Mg was entered into the model as continuous, p-value is >0.05.

I can not find an explanation for this difference. What are next steps to be considered?

I would love to hear from your experience about this problem.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Minhtrang wrote:

Hi all,

I am running a Cox model with outcome as mortality, and predictor as Magnesium (Mg).

I can not find an explanation for this difference. What are next steps to be considered?

Thank you.

There's no reason to think that a model based upon quintiles (in which you are throwing away data) will produce the same result as a model based upon the continuous variable (where you are not throwing away data). In fact, if you have the continuous variable values, I can't really think of a reason why you'd even want to use quintiles in place of the continuous data ... I doubt you could justify this to a reviewer or professor.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

You didn't tell us the actual p-values.  For instance, .04 and .06 are not that different in strength of evidence.

Other things to look at: 

--  Is the effect of mg linear?  A curvilinear relationship can show up as non-significant in a continuous setting.  Looks at your graphical diagnostics.

--  There may be an interaction that you are not modeling.

There are a couple of good SAS Books-By-Users that can lead you through exploring the relationships.

Doc Muhlbaier

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Minhtrang wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you.

There's no reason to think that a model based upon quintiles (in which you are throwing away data) will produce the same result as a model based upon the continuous variable (where you are not throwing away data). In fact, if you have the continuous variable values, I can't really think of a reason why you'd even want to use quintiles in place of the continuous data ... I doubt you could justify this to a reviewer or professor.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation