BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SJSlaughter
Obsidian | Level 7

I used to go to SGF and spend all my time at the conference. It's easy to get so caught up that you don't want to miss a second of the conference, but it's also a shame to go to a new city and miss the chance to see historic or cultural sights, and sample the local cuisine. So now, at every conference, I try to get out at least once.

So I ask, what should people do in Dallas?

I hope y'all have lots of suggestions. I've been to Dallas a couple of times so I'll start with the obvious. The famous Grassy Knoll at Dealey Plaza where John F. Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963 is a short walk from the Dallas Convention Center. There is not actually much to see, just the road and a couple of signs describing the events, but it's still thought provoking, and I will definitely see it again. 

On the way, stop at John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza and spend a couple minutes pondering the vicissitudes of life. The memorial is a stark 1970-style monument, powerful in it's simplicity.

There is a small museum on the Sixth Floor of the Texas School Book Depository from whence Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK. If anyone has seen it, I would be interested to know if it's worth the (rather high $18) price of admission.

42 REPLIES 42
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

I visited the museum in the book depository when I went to Dallas the last time Global Forum was held there. I'd say it's definitely worth a visit - the museum covers the whole story of the Kennedy presidency, assassination and the immediate aftermath in some detail with a lot of interesting exhibits and an audio tour via headsets. You can find out more information here -> https://www.jfk.org

Also look out for the white X painted on the road outside which marks the spot where the second (fatal) bullet hit Kennedy. I actually saw people running into the middle of the road and dodging traffic to have their photos taken standing next to the X and dashing back again. I must say I thought it was in slightly bad taste but perhaps that's just me...

SJSlaughter
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Chris, I'll definitely try to catch the school book depository museum!

AaroninMN
Obsidian | Level 7

I booked my flight this week and so far I am planning to do the following before the conference:

1. Tour AT&T Stadium.  As a former resident of Dallas, I am a longtime Cowboys fan and have not yet made my pilgrimage to the House that Jerry built.

2. Bill's Records - A Dallas institution for vinyl lovers.  Caution - records do not have prices marked so you are left to the whim of the owner on what it will cost that day.  Half Price Books also has their flagship store in Dallas.

3. Robert Cray at the Majestic Theater Saturday Night

4. Flora Street Cafe - Stephen Pyles has been setting dining trends for years.  It sounds like they may soon have brunch service so this might be an option on Sunday morning.

5. Turning Point Brewing - 1 year old brewery in Bedford, TX crafting some of the most in demand IPA's in Texas.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing.

Best,

Aaron

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

Wow Robert Cray! Unfortunately I won't be attending Global Forum this year but as a long-term fan of his I'm green with envy.....

Michael_Gibbs
Calcite | Level 5
1. AT/T Stadium: You will NOT be disappointed. Truly amazing place. I was there once to see my beloved Razorbacks play A/M and had a great time (though concessions are obscenely expensive imho).
LizS
Calcite | Level 5

This is my first time to Dallas and first to Texas, so I'm flying in on Saturday to have some extra time to explore. I'm planning on starting in Fort Worth, and checking out some of the art museums (Kimbell and Modern in particular). The Water Gardens are also on my Fort Worth list. The cities are so close and sound like they're quite different, so I'm looking forward to checking them both out.

I read that there is quite a lot of sculpture around downtown Dallas, I think you can get a map from the Visitor Center, which I couldn't find online, but I found this list:

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2018/february/downtown-dallas-art-tour-things-to-d...

Thanks for starting this thread,

Liz

SJSlaughter
Obsidian | Level 7

Liz,

Thanks for link to the map of artworks. I was very impressed by all the artwork in Dallas when I was there for SGF a few years ago, but I only saw a few of the works on this list. So now I'll know what to look for. I remember several very nice fountains which are not on the map (maybe they didn't count them as works of art?).

Also fun are the "BIG" sculptures. It looks like there is one near Dealey Plaza. Here's a map: https://www.visitdallas.com/campaigns/big/index.html

And, while it's not art, an extremely atmospheric thing to look for is the actual old cemetery in Pioneer Plaza next the to Convention Center. It really makes you feel like you are in the old west.

Susan

PabloNogueras
Obsidian | Level 7

Hola All,

Here is a "generic" list of what you can do in the DFW area:  If you want specific recommendations, please ask specific questions.

• Eat
  • BBQ - Brisket, Ribs, etc
  • Mexican/Texican/Tex-Mex - Tacos, Enchiladas, etc
  • Steak - Big Pieces of Meat
  • Everything else is available

• Tourist Places
  • Kennedy Exhibits - Eternal Flame Dealey Plaza, 6th floor book depository, grass noll!, etc.
  • Fort Worh Stock Yards
  • Country Music Dance Halls - Gilley's, etc
  • Six Flags
  • BallPark in Arlington (Rangers in town on May 1, 2)
  • Dallas Cowboys ATT Stadium in Arlington aka Death Star
  • American Airlines Arena
  • Texas Motor Speedway
  • George W. Bush Presidential Library near SMU
  • SMU - Southern Methodist University
  • TCU - Texas Christian University
  • Dallas World Aquarium
  • Kimbell Art Museum
  • Dallas Museum of Art
  • Reunion Tower
  • Dallas Zoo
  • Fair Park - Home of the Texas State Fair
  • Ft. Worth Water Gardens

Hasta

Pablo

SJSlaughter
Obsidian | Level 7

@PabloNogueras

It's great to hear from a local. Eating  BBQ is a priority for me in Dallas. Are there any BBQ restaurants near the Convention Center that you would recommend?

Also, any suggestions for breakfast? Once the conference starts, they will probably offer breakfast of some kind, but I'll be needing breakfast on Sunday before the conference starts.

gracias,

Susan

PabloNogueras
Obsidian | Level 7

Near the convention center of these would be fantastic:

Of the Bone BBQ

Pecan Lodge

Mac's BBQ

doesper
Obsidian | Level 7

The Dallas Symphony Orchestra will be performing The Firebird by Igor Stravinsky, just a few blocks away at the Meyerson Symphony Center at 2301 Flora Street.  They'll be playing the entire ballet score, not just the suite—a rarity.  All of The Firebird is wonderful, and if you are familiar with the suite you will be surprised and delighted at how good the rest of the music is as well.  Performances are:

Thu. Apr. 25 7:30 p.m.

Fri. Apr. 26 7:30 p.m.

Sat. Apr. 27 7:30 p.m.

Sun. Apr. 28 2:30 p.m.

https://www.mydso.com/buy/tickets/firebird

I'll be at the Sunday afternoon concert so maybe will see you there!

Enjoy,

David Oesper

ross-sansom01
Fluorite | Level 6

What restaurants would people recommend? Everyone from my company is coming in on the saturday and really want a nice steak. 

austintyr
Calcite | Level 5

If you can (expense) most of it, check out Nick & Sam's; it's in Uptown which is close to downtown.  https://nick-sams.com/

AB4DU
Calcite | Level 5

It's definitely old-town Dallas, but you might be interested in seeing the Fair Park grounds, with Big Tex and the Cotton Bowl (where I watched my first Dallas Cowboys game as a child).  The Texas State Fair won't be until October, but there is plenty of area to walk around. 

Also, the Dallas Arboretum is pretty nice.