BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
16 REPLIES 16
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

My only experience is as a US citizen coming back into country, so it doesn't represent your process.  But all DFW travelers have some universal experiences:

• The airport terminals are huge.  Prepare yourself for lots of walking.  There are trains that connect the various terminals -- use them if possible.  The airport maps that are provided in in-flight magazines make the distance between things look deceptively small -- but a walk between gates from Terminal C to terminal D can be miles (or it seems so anyway).  (As you're not changing planes here and trying to catch a connection, that's not an issue.)
  • There are two phases to entry: immigration (checking you) and customs (checking what you're bringing).  You'll need to claim your checked baggage before proceeding through customs, and waiting on that can take a while.

Is DFW your port of entry?  That is, you're not arriving at another US airport first?  If you were arriving somewhere else (say, NYC or Washington DC), you typically have to clear immigration/customs there instead.  In those cases you want a comfortable amount of time before your next flight (I think 2 hours) to allow for any delays.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I would allow one hour -- deplaning, getting to immigration counters, waiting in lines, getting luggage, customs, etc.  But there is a large margin of error on that estimate -- probably optimistic.

But, if you're looking for the standard taxi experience (not a special car service), no reservation necessary.  You'll be able to walk up and wait for one at the taxi rank outside the terminal when ready.  Or, if you have an Uber or Lyft app/account, that should work too.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@ChrisHemedinger wrote:

I would allow one hour -- deplaning, getting to immigration counters, waiting in lines, getting luggage, customs, etc.  But there is a large margin of error on that estimate -- probably optimistic.

But, if you're looking for the standard taxi experience (not a special car service), no reservation necessary.  You'll be able to walk up and wait for one at the taxi rank outside the terminal when ready.  Or, if you have an Uber or Lyft app/account, that should work too.

Good news, so we'll just take a "normal" taxi.

I considered public transport also, but after 10 hours transatlantic (and > 12 hours all-in-all from Vienna), I want this to be as comfortable as possible.

nbrucken
Obsidian | Level 7

If you don't want to take a taxi, there's also light rail, with a stop near the hotel.  Here's the information from the Omni website (https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/dallas/property-details/directions😞

Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) — Learn more here.

DART light rail is the fast, comfortable and economical way to connect the Omni Dallas Hotel with Dallas-area airports and other destinations.

• DFW International Airport – Take the Orange Line from DFW Airport Station to West End Station. Transfer to a Red or Blue line to Union Station for the Omni Dallas Hotel.
  • Dallas Love Field – Take the Love Link from Dallas Love Field to Inwood/Love Field Station. Take the Orange or Green line to West End Station. Transfer to a Red or Blue line to Union Station for the Omni Dallas Hotel.
  • A one-way ticket is $2.50 and valid for two-hours on all modes of travel and transfers. Buy your ticket and plan your trip using DART's GoPass℠ app available on Apple and Android smartphones.

DART’s D-Link bus is your free link to fun in downtown Dallas, the Bishop Arts District, Victory Park, The Cedars and lower Uptown. Board a bus on the east side of the Omni Dallas Hotel and explore these eclectic neighborhoods. The distinctive magenta buses run every 15 minutes from 11:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

Plan your trip online, or for addition information, call DART at (214) 979-1111.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Light rail is a great option!  Saves $$ too.

Since lots of SAS employees and customers are descending upon Dallas at the same time, I almost always bump into someone to share a ride with, lowering the per-person cost.  Usually I'm sharing with a SAS colleague, but sometimes I find a SAS community member in the taxi rank! 

#Throwback to that time I shared a taxi with @MMMIIIIKKKKEEEE. in Las Vegas.

20160417_103639.jpg

knoxkooley
Fluorite | Level 6
So... $80US for the cab, or $2.50US for the rail?

How do you get the passes at the aeroport???????
LoriGoldman
Obsidian | Level 7
I don't know where the $80 estimate for the cab came from, but if you have LYFT or UBER it should be much less. I did a LYFT fare estimator from Dallas Love Airport and it's only about $20 US. If you're flying into DFW you can check it out yourself here:
https://www.lyft.com/fare-estimate
knoxkooley
Fluorite | Level 6

Ah, the $80 was for Wynne Transport -- methinks I need to get more coffee.  Agreed, there are cheaper options besides the train. (See, this is why I ask! So I get corrected! 🙂  )

Wynne Transportation — Book Online Now

Enjoy the comfort of first-class transportation with executive sedans and limousines for individual or groups. Pricing is as follows:

• Arrivals/departures from DFW International Airport – $80*
  • Arrivals/departures from Love Field Airport – $65*

*Price quote is for town car-only transfers. Price may increase with SUV requests.

Make reservations online, or for additional information, call Wynne Transportation at (972) 915-7300 or (888) 913-5446.

Go Yellow Checker Shuttle Service
 — Book Online Now

Use this economical choice for airport transportation services in the familiar yellow and while vans or enjoy the comfort of an executive sedan or limo. Pricing for GO Yellow Checker Shuttle shared rides is as follows:

• DFW International Airport – $17 each way per person; daily departures every 30 minutes between 5:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.**
  • Love Field Airport –$17 each way per person (reservations required for departures)

** Additional departures times are available by scheduling a reservation pick-up.

Make reservations online
, or for additional information, call GO Yellow Checker Shuttle at (214) 841-1900.

nbrucken
Obsidian | Level 7

Look for the Ground Transportation signs in the airport- there should also be signs for DART (light rail).  More information on DART itself can be found at https://www.dart.org/riding/dfwairport.asp.

Nancy

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Think two people with a large Samsonite, a max size cabin trolley, and a shoulder bag each. We'll go for the taxi 😉

Just the walk from baggage claim through customs to the taxi rank will be enough for this day.

Eric_D
SAS Employee

Watch out for DART, I think there is some construction downtown that might affect the trip. 

https://www.dart.org/about/expansion/construction.asp

GerhardS
Calcite | Level 5
DART will stop at the West End Station, which is the nearest station for Homewood Suites anyway. There are further shuttles but that may be one hassle too much after a long flight. Anything shorter than 10 hours does not count. I am arriving with a 7 hour time lag.