BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SJSlaughter
Obsidian | Level 7

This year I've had the honor of helping to recruit speakers for the Career Development area. We have some fantastic presentations that everyone can benefit from whether you are a student, a new graduate, or a mid-career professional.

I particularly recommend the panel discussion (Career Advice We'd Give to Our Kids) Tuesday April 30, 3:00-4:00 in Level 2, Ballroom C4. The panelists (Shelley Blozis, AnnMaria De Mars, Paul LaBrec) are all great so this should be both informative and entertaining.

The following presentations are listed in order by day and time. As you scroll through this list, you may notice that most (but not all!) of these presentations are in Level 1 Room D168.

Poster (available every day)

3812 Tips to Ensure Success in Your New SAS® Project

Flora Fang Liu

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

10:00-11:00 Level 1, D168

3267 Don't Just Survive, Thrive! A Learning- Based Strategy for a Modern Organization Centered Around SAS

Jovan Marjanovic

11:00-12:00 Level 1, D168

3241 The Power of Know-How: Pump Up Your Professional Value by Refining Your SAS Skills

Gina Huff

1:00-1:15 Level 2, Exhibit Hall D, Super Demo 12

SAS Programming Exam Moves to Performance-Based Format

Mark Stevens

1:30-2:00 Level 1, D168

3742 The Why and How of Teaching SAS to High School Students

Jennifer Richards

2:00-2:30 Level 1, D168

3807 Puzzle Me, Puzzle You: How a Thought Experiment Became a Rubik’s Cube Among a Set of Fun Puzzles

Amit Patel, Lewis Mitchell

2:30-3:00 Level 1, D168

3023 How to Land Work as a SAS Professional

Charu Shankar

3:00-3:15 Level 2, Exhibit Hall D, Super Demo 12

Take SAS Certification Exams from Home Online Proctored

Terry Barham

3:00-4:00 Level 2, Ballroom C4

4016 Panel Discussion: Career Advice We'd Give to Our Kids

Shelley Blozis, AnnMaria De Mars, Paul LaBrec

3:00-4:00 Level 1, D168

3103 How To Be an Effective Statistician

Alexander Schacht

4:00-5:00 Level 1, D168

3171 Stories from the Trenches: Tips and Techniques for Career Advancement from a SAS Industry Recruiter

Molly Hall

5:00-5:30 Level 1, D168

3597 How to HOW: Hands-on- Workshops Made Easy

Chuck Kincaid

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

10:00-11:00 Level 2, Ballroom C3

3168 Tell Me a Data Story

Kat Greenbrook

10:00-11:00 Level 2 Ballroom C4

3228 The Good, The Bad, and The Creepy: Why Data Scientists Need to Understand Ethics

11:00 Jennifer Priestley

11:30-12:00 Level 1, D168

3896 New to SAS? Helpful Hints for Developing Your Own Professional Development Plan

Kelly Smith

7 REPLIES 7
t75wez1
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello Susan,

The last time I went to SAS SUGI was 2006. I recall that there is a place for people who seek a new job to put their CV on the binders.

It maybe kind of anachronistic. Do they still do that type of things?

Thanks,

Joe 

SJSlaughter
Obsidian | Level 7

Joe,

Good question. I don't think the binders are around any more at SGF (and for the record, at least one regional SAS conference still has binders), but I'm not aware of anything that has replaced them. I'm not even sure who to ask about it.

If someone knows, I hope they will enlighten us. Is there a way for job seekers to share their CVs at SGF?

Susan

t75wez1
Pyrite | Level 9

Susan,

Thank you for your support.

I would love see the "SAS Career Center" during the conference due to the rapid growth of SAS new technologies and innovative products.

It will attract more people to attend SAS GF. Often times their employers don't adopt and invest new SAS capabilities since they are being told from open source people that is too expensive. As the experienced SAS aficionado, we'd like to find the companies that can provide this new SAS tech environment for our career advance.

Joe

Quentin
Super User

Good point Joe.  

I've often wished there was a way I could find out from SAS "What companies within 60 miles of my home license SAS"?  Or even more specific license questions (PC SAS, Viya, etc.)  Of course I understand why neither SAS nor individual companies would want to share all this information, but it sure would be nice if they could.   Until then, I guess old-fashioned networking is still the answer.  Good luck!

-Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
SJSlaughter
Obsidian | Level 7

Joe,

I checked with MaryAnne DePesquo, this year's Conference Chair. She confirmed that the job binders are gone. Her advice is to network whenever you can and also spend time checking out the Quad.

I can share that after my son graduated from college he went to a SAS conference hoping that it would help him find a job. As it turned out, a chance comment from another attendee eventually led to a fantastic job. It was like searching for a needle in a haystack so I wouldn't want to make it seem easy, but attending that conference was a critical step in figuring out where to dig in the haystack.

Good luck!

Susan

MParthasarathy
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for posting about this. As some one who has been using SAS for a bit in the same place, sometimes I feel like I am in a rut. This well help breathe some new life into my current career.
LNEW
Obsidian | Level 7

Simply...ditto. I feel the same although I am constantly trying to improve my programs. Going to https://communities.sas.com/ and reading segments under the "Latest Topics" area has given me many new ideas and improved my programming.