BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi Gang -

I'm having a great time here, connecting virtually.  Soon, we'll be able to meet up in person at the conference.  One special opportunity is the special interest "Linkups" that happen Wednesday evening from 6:30pm to 7:30pm.  We have one Linkup that's dedicated to online communities.  That includes SAS-L, sasCommunity.org, SAS Canada Community, SAS Support Communities, SAS Professionals UK, LinkedIn and more.  Traditionally, this Linkup includes fun presentations, awards, and just good ol' fashioned networking.

Click to respond: Invitation to the Online Communities Community Linkup (Wed @ 6:30 in Veronese 2506)

Here are some important notes about the evening:

• The Online Communities Linkup is unique in that we offer an option for remote attendees.  We'll have a WebEx session that you can join.  We'll also record the session.  The remote option will allow you to listen in and see what's being presented.  We won't have remote voice audio piped into the room though...so if you've got something to say, send it to a friend who will be there!  If you intend to join remotely, respond to the invite so we can send you the connection info.  (Remember, it's happening at 6:30pm Pacific time!)

• All Linkups are happening at the same time.  That means some people will feel torn about which to attend.  Keep in mind we also have the TweetUp on Monday night to socialize.  And before the Linkup begins, there's a social "Tap n' Brew" event in the Quad (beginning at 5:30pm) where you can get fed, watered, and catch up with friends.  You'll be able to bring your food/drink to the Linkup meeting rooms at 6:30.

• The Linkup programs will end right at 7:30pm, because the Kickback party will begin at 8pm at Brooklyn Bowl. We don't want to keep people from that!  There is a little travel time needed (shuttles provided) to get to the party.

We hope to see you at our Linkup -- or at any Linkup that interests you.  If you plan to come to the Online Communities Linkup, respond to the invite so we can get an idea of headcount (optional!).  It's a great opportunity for informal learning and socializing.  Review the entire list of Linkups here.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
13 REPLIES 13
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Thanks for the invitation @ChrisHemedinger and for all the work you and the team do with the online communities.

I'm disappointed that I'll be missing all the Linkup sessions being on at the same time as The Quad Tap n Brew event. I'll be at the Metacoda stand so if anyone wants to say G'Day please do so and hopefully I'll kick back with you'll later at the Kick Back party. Smiley Happy

Kind Regards,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I know @MichelleHomes -- Wed evening is really packed in this year with lots of stuff going on.  I'm glad that people are using this group and the conference app to get a jump start on their connecting/networking!

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

So true Chris... Makes me think how the "Quiet" time during Susan Cain's talk Thursday morning will be relished by many!

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
LoriGoldman
Obsidian | Level 7
@ChrisHemedinger - I've been trying to find this linkup on the event scheduler. I can't find it. Any tips for how to get this into my event calendar?
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@LoriGoldman The agenda details are here. It's listed as session #13465.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Thanks for the invitation!

I already had one for the SUGA Community Linkup. All at the same time really makes you prioritize and filter other events event if you really would like to attend, as the event happening on the Quad. Sorry Michelle! Maybe one of my colleagues will be there 🙂

MMMIIIIKKKKEEEE
Obsidian | Level 7

Chris,

Thank you for bringing this to the group's attention!

I have attended this event at past SAS Global Forums and it is a _LOT_ of fun.  You get to finally meet scads of very smart, very helpful SAS programming professionals who selflessly devote their personal time to helping others in the online SAS communities.  And, of course, they never ever look like you have imagined them to look...:-)

Anyway, I will be there and look forward to meeting one and all, and learning what's what with the online SAS communities!

Best of luck in all your SAS endeavors!

----MMMMIIIIKKKKEEEE
(aka Michael A. Raithel)
Amazon Author's Page: http://www.amazon.com/Michael-A.-Raithel/e/B001K8GG90/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
Quentin
Super User

Yes, thanks for posting Chris, I'll definitely be there.

My first conference was SUGI 25 in Indianapolis, and I had a blast at the SAS-L BOF ("Birds of a Feather").  Remember being really excited to see so many of the people who had helped me so much.  (That could be the year Ron Fehd showed up in his Big Purple Hat; I think it was also the year Ian was the innaugural inductee into the SAS-L Hall of Fame).

Not only that, after the BOF I saw Mike Roads (SAS-L notable who I knew from his email address worked at Westat) and I said "Hey, you work at Westat right?  I'm thinking about moving to DC."  (This was a hard thing for a shy person like me to do, even at a conference with other SAS nerds.)  And he said, "Well if you do, give me a call," and gave me his card.

About a year later I was living in DC and went to a DCSUG meeting and there was Mike and I said "Hi, I'm in DC, any tips for applying for jobs at Westat?"  And he said "Just drop me an email when you apply so that I can flag your resume." 

A few months later I was working at "SAS Mekka," along side MMMMMMMMIKKKKKKEEE and a long list of other amazing SAS programmers.

From early on, that sort of experience helped convince me that the SAS community was one I'd be happy to belong to.  And many years later, I'm happy to keep participating.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mark Keintz presenting History Carried Forward, Future Carried Back: Mixing Time Series of Differing Frequencies on May 8. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
MMMIIIIKKKKEEEE
Obsidian | Level 7

Quentin,

And, we were sorry that one day you moved on from the SAS Mekka community, but happy that you are active and vocal in the greater SAS community!

Look forward to saying "Hello!" live at SAS Global Forum 2016.

----MMMMIIIIKKKKEEEE
(aka Michael A. Raithel)
Amazon Author's Page: http://www.amazon.com/Michael-A.-Raithel/e/B001K8GG90/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
JimAdams
SAS Employee
I went to my first SGF before it was SGF. I was at SUGI 17 in Hawaii. It was eye opening for me as a new SAS employee that the stuff I was working on, SAS/AF and AF Frame, was too new for people to pick up.

I always like going to these. My favorite thing to do is hang out on the Demo floor and answer people’s questions. It is also fun to see folks that I recognize from years past. I don’t get to go every year but I enjoy it when I do.

This year I will be at the Customer Intelligence demo booth. Come on by and say Hi!
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Folks, the conference team had to move the room for Online Communities Linkup to Veronese 2506.  This will be updated in the online invite, agenda builder, and app.  Make a note of it!

(FYI, though it's rare, session rooms can change even as the conference begins.  The app/online agenda should have the latest.)

MMMIIIIKKKKEEEE
Obsidian | Level 7

Chris,

I would bet that they needed to move it to a room with greater air conditioning power:-)

----MMMMIIIIKKKKEEEE
(aka Michael A. Raithel)
AndrewHowell
Apologies, Chris but I'm on the panel at the SUGA LinkUp, although I've got some LinkedIn stats I'll forward to the BOFs for discussion. See you at the #tweetup.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 17 likes
  • 8 in conversation