BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
gmbaker
SAS Employee

Now is your chance! Applications are open for SAS Global Forum 2019 Conference Chair through Feb. 8. Read this blog to learn more about the requirements and benefits for a SAS user in this role and how to apply. 

Nominations for Chair of SAS Global Forum 2019 being accepted through Feb. 8 

Gail Baker
SAS
8 REPLIES 8
Davanden
Obsidian | Level 7

What does a conference chair have to do?  Do you need arm rests?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Ironically, the SAS Global Forum chair doesn't actually sit down that much (from what I've observed).  Unless you count that time that Debbie Buck was carried out on stage on a litter.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
Davanden
Obsidian | Level 7

The arms part was a joke, but it was a serious question.  I'd like to know what's involved before I decide whether or not to volunteer.

jwaller
Obsidian | Level 7

You can find out more information in this document about what a conference chair does. It is a lot of work, but very rewarding!

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I think it is strange to see a posting in a public forum for a conference chair position.  I would think that the a qualified candidate would have been:

1) Involved with prior SAS Global Forum Conferences, preferable as a Section Chair or on the executive committee

-or-

2) A conference chair for a regional SAS Users conference (SESUG, MWSUG)

Even for individuals who have successfully chaired a major non-SAS conference (such as INFORMS or a BI conference), familiarity with Global Forum and past leadership positions in SAS conferences has got to be to be a huge factor.

ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Rick,

You are correct that the ideal candidate will almost certainly have quite a bit of SAS user group experience, but management skills are also very important.  It is the desire of the SAS Global Users Group Executive Board to make sure that all of those involved with the use of SAS Software (both users and managers of users) are aware of the opportunity to make a substantial contribution to the conference by participating as the conference chair - so a public (in a SAS venue) announcement.

Being the conference chair is a lot of work, but it is also very rewarding.  I had a blast when I was the conference chair.

Art Carpenter

SUGI 28 Conference Chair

SGUG EB Chair

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I"m too old - you'll need a lot of energy
ArtC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Peter, Energy sure, but enthusiasm for the SAS user too.  That you have in abundance.  Art