BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Forecaster
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I have moderate background in time series analysis. I'm trying to do an intervention modeling using proc arima.

The model that I have postulated is an gradual permanent change such as shown below. See below for an example code. The problem that I'm facing is when I'm visualizing using ratio function using iml, I'm not able to get the appropriate effect. Any help in representing the gradual permanent change using transfer function in proc arima as well as visualizing using ratio function in proc arima would be greatly appreciated.

gradual permenant change.jpg

********************************************************************************************************************;

** Input Raw Data  **;

********************************************************************************************************************;

data temp;

input cd @@;

datalines;

0 0 0 0 0 0.1 0.3 0.5

0.6 0.7 0.75 0.78 0.79 0.8

0.805 0.806 0.807 0.808 0.808

0.808 0.808

;

run;

** Create an indicator flag for Intervention  **;

data temp;

set temp;

if _n_ > 5 then step = 1;

else step = 0;

run;

*****************************************************************************************************************;

** Identify the transfer function using cross correlation plot.  **;

ods graphics on;

proc arima data=temp plots=all;

identify var=cd crosscorr = (step); /*Identify Transfer Function by CCF*/

estimate input = (/(1)step) method = ml outest = mm1; /*Estimate Model using Transfer Function Gradual Permanent Change*/

run;

ods graphics off;

**  Extract Intervention for plotting  **;

%let NUMLIST = 0.22;

%let DENLIST = -0.74;

%let nlags = 40;

proc iml;

Phi={&NUMLIST};

Theta={1 &DENLIST};

Psi=ratio(Theta,Phi,&NLAGS);

numLag=&NLAGS;     

Lag=1:numLag;

Psi=Psi[1,1:numLag];

Y=Lag`||Psi`;

oname={'Lag' 'Psi'};

create temptransfer from Y[colname=oname];

append from Y;

close temptransfer;

run;

ods graphics on;

proc sgplot data=temptransfer;

vbar Lag / Response=Psi Stat=sum;

refline 0 / axis=y;

run;

ods graphics off;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
chwell
SAS Employee

Hi.

You have created the effect correctly using you data step. This is seen by adding the following statement after the ESTIMATE statement and before the RUN in PROC ARIMA; FORECAST lead=0 printall;

As the forecast plot shows, your estimated a transfer function that generates a gradual build to a new status quo.

The IML portion of the code is outputting a data set that represents only the initial impact of the step and associated decay. That is, it is only capturing the effect of the first 1 in the step dummy. My IML is rusty, but the idea (and a brute forece way) would be to increment time; 1, 2, 3, 4, .... and then add effects corresponding to each interval and previous intervals. For example, looking at the Psi plot generated by your code, the effect, under a step intervention, at time 2 would by the effect at lag 2 + effect at lag 1. Effect at lag 3 = effect at lags 3 + 2 + 1. And so on.

Feel free to follow up and discuss details. My email is chip.wells@sas.com

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
chwell
SAS Employee

Hi.

You have created the effect correctly using you data step. This is seen by adding the following statement after the ESTIMATE statement and before the RUN in PROC ARIMA; FORECAST lead=0 printall;

As the forecast plot shows, your estimated a transfer function that generates a gradual build to a new status quo.

The IML portion of the code is outputting a data set that represents only the initial impact of the step and associated decay. That is, it is only capturing the effect of the first 1 in the step dummy. My IML is rusty, but the idea (and a brute forece way) would be to increment time; 1, 2, 3, 4, .... and then add effects corresponding to each interval and previous intervals. For example, looking at the Psi plot generated by your code, the effect, under a step intervention, at time 2 would by the effect at lag 2 + effect at lag 1. Effect at lag 3 = effect at lags 3 + 2 + 1. And so on.

Feel free to follow up and discuss details. My email is chip.wells@sas.com

Forecaster
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank You very much.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation