BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
srishti
Calcite | Level 5

I want to implement simple exponential smoothing model to minimize mean square error by optimizing smoothing weights.
Data I am using is time series data.

I am using proc ESM .I wanted to know if proc ESM is the right approach for the same?

code:
proc esm data=solver out=p outest=u outstat=h outfor=k lead=1 print=all printdetails;
id date interval=year;
forecast ft; /* ft is column in dataset for which we are forecasting values */
run;

The results coming from TSFS of ETS and proc esm are same.(value of mean square error ,forecasted values and smoothing weights)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello -

Looks good - as the default model of PROC ESM is simple exponential smoothing.

If you would like to switch to a different ESM you can add a "model" option to your FORECAST statement.

For example:

forecast ft / model=DAMPTREND; /*for damped trend exponential smoothing */

For more detail check out: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etsug/68148/HTML/default/viewer.htm#etsug_esm_syntax04.h...

Thanks,

Udo

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
udo_sas
SAS Employee

Hello -

Looks good - as the default model of PROC ESM is simple exponential smoothing.

If you would like to switch to a different ESM you can add a "model" option to your FORECAST statement.

For example:

forecast ft / model=DAMPTREND; /*for damped trend exponential smoothing */

For more detail check out: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/etsug/68148/HTML/default/viewer.htm#etsug_esm_syntax04.h...

Thanks,

Udo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation