BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
andreas_zaras
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

I have been reading a white paper entitled "Fundamental Issues of Business Forecasting" that is based on a paper by M. Gilliard appeared in the Journal of Business Forecasting. In this paper a couple of operational demand definitions are presented based on data from shipments and orders. Is anybody aware of any sources (e.g. web sites, academic or practitioner papers, books, white papers etc) where i can get detailed information about the mentioned definitions of demand or other operational definitions. Actaullay i need references on the ways demand is measured in practice for forecasting purposes. As far as i researched, i didn't find any references on which the previously mentioned papers are based so any resource would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mvgilliland
SAS Employee

Hi Andreas,

For an updated discussion of this topic, see "Defining 'Demand' for Demand Forecasting" in the Summer 2010 issue of Foresight: The International Journal of Applied Forecasting. I felt that forecasters used the term "demand" too loosely, without a precise operational definition, and I wrote the original article because I couldn't find any thorough academic treatment of the topic. The examples I provided were ones I had seen in practice, and are not necessarily documented anywhere else.

If you do an online search such as "what is true demand" you can find a couple of other discussions that may be of interest, for example:

--Mike Gilliland

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mvgilliland
SAS Employee

Hi Andreas,

For an updated discussion of this topic, see "Defining 'Demand' for Demand Forecasting" in the Summer 2010 issue of Foresight: The International Journal of Applied Forecasting. I felt that forecasters used the term "demand" too loosely, without a precise operational definition, and I wrote the original article because I couldn't find any thorough academic treatment of the topic. The examples I provided were ones I had seen in practice, and are not necessarily documented anywhere else.

If you do an online search such as "what is true demand" you can find a couple of other discussions that may be of interest, for example:

--Mike Gilliland

andreas_zaras
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello Mike,

Thank you very much for your answer!

Andreas

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation