BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

(Edit: Gave the topic a better description in case this is found via search in the future)

I just updated EG to 7.15 HF4 (7.100.5.6158) (32-bit) a couple days ago. 

Before that I was on EG 7.15 HF3, i.e. the latest version before the upgrade message from EG.

I'm now getting this error almost every time I try to open an existing EG 7.15 project:

The folder's CreationDateTime could not be changed because it is currently in use.
Type: Xceed.FileSystem.DiskFolder
FullName: C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\Documents\My SAS Files\Enterprise Guide\EGTEMP\SEG-27792-3d54ae1f\contents\gcASSEswmnH3Pkw6\PFD-RqNlp3i3A2PcZF6w\CodeTask-Sq5t6JzaNIbHZhKZ\
The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\Documents\My SAS Files\Enterprise Guide\EGTEMP\SEG-27792-3d54ae1f\contents\gcASSEswmnH3Pkw6\PFD-RqNlp3i3A2PcZF6w\CodeTask-Sq5t6JzaNIbHZhKZ' because it is being used by another process.

-------------------------- Technical Information Follows --------------------------

Exception Details:
----------------------------------------
Exception type: Xceed.FileSystem.FileSystemIOException
Message: The folder's CreationDateTime could not be changed because it is currently in use.
Type: Xceed.FileSystem.DiskFolder
FullName: C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\Documents\My SAS Files\Enterprise Guide\EGTEMP\SEG-27792-3d54ae1f\contents\gcASSEswmnH3Pkw6\PFD-RqNlp3i3A2PcZF6w\CodeTask-Sq5t6JzaNIbHZhKZ\
Source: Xceed.FileSystem.v5.1
Target Site: set_DoCreationDateTime

<rest deleted>

I have the Sysinternals handle.exe program, which lists open handles on files:

PS C:\Powershell\Scripts> handle EGTEMP

Nthandle v4.1 - Handle viewer
Copyright (C) 1997-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

SEGuide.exe pid: 27792 type: File 514: C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\Documents\My SAS Files\Enterprise Guide\EGTEMP\SEG-27792-3d54ae1f\lock.3BB92618-98B5-422F-A03C-B76A8533C593.txt
SEGuide.exe pid: 27792 type: File D94: C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\Documents\My SAS Files\Enterprise Guide\EGTEMP\SEG-27792-3d54ae1f\contents\tmp63B6.tmp
PS C:\Powershell\Scripts>

If I pskill that process, EG goes away.  Or if I close EG normally, that folder is deleted.

So, the only process touching that directory is EG itself.  In testing this I only had a single EG session open.

I've seen this http://support.sas.com/kb/62/237.html but I can't see how a third party process is locking files, esp. given the output from handle?

I've used up my quota of SAS Tech Support tracks this week ;-).  So I thought post here to see if 1) anyone else has experienced this issue, and 2) know of a workaround?

Is there a way to regress EG to a previous version, short of doing a complete reinstall?

Lesson learned:  next time I get an alert that there's a new version of EG available, I think I'll sit on it for a month or so to see if there are any issues.

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Yes, this is a bug that was introduced in the recently released 7.15 HF4.  7.15 HF4 has since been removed from the hotfix page and EG's Check for Updates.  Another symptom of HF4 is discussed in this thread:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/Enterprise-Guide-update-to-7-15-6158-causes-some...

As discussed in that thread, we recommend rolling back HF4 (see the steps in that thread) or try stopping the "Windows Search" service as a temporary workaround.

We expect to release an HF5 soon that resolves these issues.  Sorry for the inconvenience!

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Yes, this is a bug that was introduced in the recently released 7.15 HF4.  7.15 HF4 has since been removed from the hotfix page and EG's Check for Updates.  Another symptom of HF4 is discussed in this thread:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/Enterprise-Guide-update-to-7-15-6158-causes-some...

As discussed in that thread, we recommend rolling back HF4 (see the steps in that thread) or try stopping the "Windows Search" service as a temporary workaround.

We expect to release an HF5 soon that resolves these issues.  Sorry for the inconvenience!

Casey

ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi Casey,

Thanks so much for your quick reply.  I've got some tight deadlines, and your reply is very much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Scott

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
TBarker
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Casey,

I just updated EG to HF5 this morning and just tried to run an existing project and got this same error, so I don't think it's fixed yet. We're in UAT for a SAS upgrade and this is really bad timing for EG to have problems. Not to mention that people need to do other non-UAT work that uses existing projects. We had six other employees across different departments update their EG as well. Please advise.

~Tamara
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Hi @TBarker,

I'm sorry you are still encountering this problem!

Prior to releasing HF5, we had several customers verify it addressed this reported issue for them.  I'm not sure why you would still be seeing the issue.  Perhaps an install issue, or an environmental difference.  Regardless, we'd like to debug and figure out what is going on in your case.  One of my colleagues in TS will reach out to you and assist.

If anyone else is still encountering this issue ("The folder's CreationDateTime could not be changed because it is currently in use." error when opening a project) with HF5 applied, please let us know.

Thanks,

Casey

BillSawyer
SAS Employee

Hi @TBarkerTBarker,

I have opened a technical support number for you, it is:  7612589909

There are a couple TBarker's in our system so I cannot be 100% certain which one matches with you otherwise I would send you the email directly.

If you would like to pursue this issue further, then, you can send me email at:  support@sas.com

Then for the subject line for the email only enter the tracking number:  7612589909

I think what might have happened is your seguide.exe.config file did not get updated by HF5. 

Maybe the permissions on that file are such that it could not be overwritten by your id.

You can check your install directory....for EG x64, the default will be:

C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASEnterpriseGuide\7.1

Then scroll down to the  seguide.exe.config file.

If all you did was apply HF5 then it should have a modified date of 10-17 or 10-18.

If it has a much earlier date then I think you will need to manually edit your seguide.exe.config file to add an <appSettings> block.

For now, I'd rather show you that through our technical support tracking system, as noted above.

Then, if this works around the issue for you then I will post back to the Communities page.

Thanks,

Bill

TBarker
Quartz | Level 8
Hi Bill and Casey,

Just a heads-up - I just submitted a new ticket for this same issue, as we're trying to roll out an EG update to all of our users and apply HF7 and it's triggering the same error. The new track number is 7612774597.
~Tamara
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Thanks for the heads up Tamara.  We will work with you (through the track) to try to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible.

Casey

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation