BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
landonhuber
Calcite | Level 5

I am using SAS Enterprise Guide in a server environment and am having issues connecting to the SASApp server. We have about 10 other users in the same environment and I'm the only one with this issue.  We've started escalating the issue in our organization; however, I thought I'd try the user community to see if I can resolve the issue quickly.

We use a connection profile (Tools - Options - Administration - Connections - Modify - Profiles) to access the IP address of the SAS server.

I've used the SAS Integration Technologies Configuration Wizard to test my connection to the SAS Server. It is a SAS Metadata Server and when I use my username and password to authenticate, I receive a message indicating that I have successfully established a connection with the SAS Server.

However, when I try to Run a SAS program in Enterprise Guide, I receive an error indicating "A connection to the server SASApp could not be established." My SAS program doesn't start executing so no SAS log is created.

When I try to select SASApp from the Server List window, I receive an error indicating "A connection could not be made to the requested resource." When I click more details, the following is included:

SAS Enterprise Guide

An unexpected error has occurred

A connection could not be made to the requested resource.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exception information

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Error] The launch of the server process failed because of an invalid or inaccessible SASUSER library.

-------------------------- Technical Information Follows --------------------------

Exception Details:

---------------------------------------

Exception type:  SAS.EG.SDS.SDSException

SAS Message: [Error] The launch of the server process failed because of an invalid or inaccessible SASUSER library.

Raw Message:     <?xml version="1.0" ?

><Exceptions><Exception><SASMessage severity="Error">The launch of  the server process failed because of an invalid or inaccessible SASUSER library.</SASMessage></Exception></Exceptions>

Source:          SAS.EG.SDS.Model

Target Site:     SASWorkspace

Stack Trace:

at SAS.EG.SDS.Model.Server.SASWorkspace()

at SAS.EG.SDS.Views.View.DoPopulate(DisplayOperation& op

Any ideas how to resolve this issue (The launch of the server process failed because of an  invalid or inaccessible SASUSER library) or where to start looking for more troubleshooting information?  Everything was fine yesterday and no other team members have the issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
george_georgiou
SAS Employee

Apologies for the confusion.  The instructions I provided above are for a corrupted SASUSER profile, not an inaccessible SASUSER profile.

The most likely cause of this issue is due to insufficient privileges in the location where the SASUSER profile is stored.

A good test would be to launch SAS on the remote server as the user in question and see if it loads up.  If SAS does not load and throws a similar error message as described above, then you will have to troubleshoot the location from an Operating System permissions stand point.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to open a SAS Technical Support track for further investigation and troubleshooting.

Thank you,

George

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
sas_9
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi - try to reconfigure some "object spawner tasks"

SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: Application Server Administration Guide

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/biasag/62612/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n12001intelplatform...

Check/try

- check if you are connected to company network

- SAS User library must exist on your server environment and check path for same...

- delete connection and reconnect it with proper parameters...

Vinnie_MOH
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Did you get this resolved?

Thanks.

gsuresh
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi landonhuber,

I have got the similar issue/error...and I resolved it, please let me know is your server is windows or unix so that I can help you.

Thanks

Suresh Grandhi

dataman21
Calcite | Level 5

I am having the same problem.  It is a windows SAS Server running 9.4.  Using Enterprise Guide 6.1 on the client side.  What did you do Suresh to resolve the problem?

Thanks

Greg

pathanfahim1986
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Guys ,

I faced same issue last week while trying to login first time using EG 6.1 with 9.4 as server using LDAP mechanism ( domain\userid ).

What I saw was , I logged in to each SAS server using PUTTY once and then it said my home directory got created successfully on server. Once I did that I tried to login through EG and ERROR did not appear again.

As per my view , issue may be with SASUSER library , SASUSER library may be pointing to your home directory on server , but as you never logged in to system your home directory never got created and SASUSER was pointing to "unexist home directory". And so it was throwing error.

Another link I came across is "http://support.sas.com/kb/40/920.html"

Let me know your thinking around this.

Regards,

Fahim

Ram4sas
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Suresh,

I am running with same issue with SAS Server 9.4(Test Environment) been installed on Linux machines and users are trying to connect from Windows EG6.1.

It was working fine from last 20 months and no more issue. From Yesterday, when users Connected in EG and tried to expand/access Serves >SASApp- its hung. Keep processing, nothing happens and cannot see the libraries and Files.

what was the solution you applied to fix the issue? can you please share?

Thanks,

Ram

DBailey
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Have you checked to see if the path that the metadata server is defining as your SASUSER library exists and you have access to it?

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi,

When you first launch EG and give the credentials, it is for the USER to be authenticated via Metadata server.

However this doesn't mean when you run the SAS Program in EG, it would execute.

Reason being the user doesn't have the privilege to reach object spwaner which will inturn launch SASApp workspace server to run the SAS Code.

Reach out to your SAS Platform Admin, to give the required access to your user ID in order to launch the workspace server.

User that has an internal SAS identity and also part of SAS Trusted Group would be able to launch workspace server.

so I belive you user ID should be part of the SAS Trusted group.

Let me know if this helped.

Thanks!

Ram4sas
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Anand,

I am running with same issue with SAS Server 9.4(Test Environment) been installed on Linux machines and users are trying to connect from Windows EG6.1.

It was working fine from last 20 months and no more issue. From Yesterday, when users Connected in EG and tried to expand/access Serves >SASApp- its hung. Keep processing, nothing happens and cannot see the libraries and Files.

I have verified the ObjectSpawner is running, can validate WS server successfully from SMC Client and SMC from Servers.

Users can connect to Prod Environment and can access/expand the Servers>SASApp > Libraries and Files- so No issue in EG and Integration technologies in User PC.

What would be issue not able to find and fix for this? Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Ram

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi Ram,

Not sure if this issue was fixed, but recently I also faced this issue where in the SAS EG session gets hanged. Please check your object spawner logs for any error's. I could be due to the ID not able to launch workspace server.

Thanks,

Anand

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi @landonhuber,

first, I think the indication provided by @pathanfahim1986 it is on the right direction. Please check the logs on your Object Spawner.

Also, you can try to log into the server machine, and try to run /Lev1/SASApp/WorkspaceServer/WorkspaceServer.bat with the account it tries to log in. This probably will give you the hints you need. It seems to be an issue with the link to the SASUSER library for this users.

Probably it is an ussue on permissions or the configuration of the SASUSER library on SASFoundation/nls or on SASApp or on SASApp/WorkspaceServer( on the last 3 cases, sasv9.conf or sasv9_usermods.conf). Anyway, and again, a local WorkspaceServer.bat session launched with the user credentials, will give you your hints. In that session, you can run a %put _ALL_; and will give you all the macro variables and system variables of your SAS session.

george_georgiou
SAS Employee

Hello landonhuber,

My name is George and I am Technical Support Engineer at SAS.

The key error message to focus on with this issue is "The launch of  the server process failed because of an invalid or inaccessible SASUSER library." 

This error typically signifies that your SAS user profile is inaccessible.  If you try to launch SAS directly from the server, I bet that you will see the same error message.

If so, try following the steps below to repair this issue (this only for Windows servers):

1. Close SAS 9.4
    Navigate to the default location:
    C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My SAS Files\
2. Rename the 9.4 folder to 9.4_OLD
3. Re-start SAS again and see if the error is no longer present in the SAS log.

4. If you no longer see the error, re-test from SAS Enterprise Guide and the issue should be resolved.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if these steps do not resolve the problem.

Thanks,

George

george_georgiou
SAS Employee

Apologies for the confusion.  The instructions I provided above are for a corrupted SASUSER profile, not an inaccessible SASUSER profile.

The most likely cause of this issue is due to insufficient privileges in the location where the SASUSER profile is stored.

A good test would be to launch SAS on the remote server as the user in question and see if it loads up.  If SAS does not load and throws a similar error message as described above, then you will have to troubleshoot the location from an Operating System permissions stand point.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to open a SAS Technical Support track for further investigation and troubleshooting.

Thank you,

George

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 11 in conversation