BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Swethajava23
Calcite | Level 5

An issue where we are seeing saved SAS codes getting cleared or emptied on a random basis

We are using SAS EG7.1. SAS codes resides in LINUX platform(server)

7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I have observed that, if a server connection crashes while Enterprise Guide has a project file opened (that is stored on the server), the project file may be damaged (empty, size zero).

But I never had problems with .sas files, as those are simple text.

I therefore recommend to store projects locally (while working on them) and make occasional copies to the server.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

How do you save your SAS programs to your linux server from EG? Do a File Save in EG via a network share or by some other means?

Swethajava23
Calcite | Level 5
The users create symbolic links to the Linux directory where the codes reside to access/manage the codes from Enterprise Guide. The users use x command functionality to run different Linux commands on the server from SAS programs from Enterprise Guide.
For users to access codes and datasets in linux server from SAS EG they create the symbolic links to the path they reside.
They use x command for that. Syntax:
x "ln -s < PATH WHERE CODES and DATSET RESIDE> <USER HOME DIRECTORY IN SERVER/LINK NAME>";
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

For shared codes, I strongly recommend to use a versioning control system instead of just editing the codes in place. Your problems might come from concurrent accesses to files.

Swethajava23
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for reply.

Can you also let me know, how to implement versioning control system for shared codes.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

There is a universe of VCS's out there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_version_control_software

What suits your needs must be decided upon in your organisation.

I'm not one who runs the VCS, I just use it. And ours is mainframe-based at the moment.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

SAS Enterprise Guide has integrated support for Git, including repositories like Github.  See this blog post for some more details.

Aside from Git integration, you can use standard source control systems with file-system integration along side SAS and SAS Enterprise Guide.  Here's another article about that.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation