BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
David5
Fluorite | Level 6

Sometimes when using SAS EG 7.13 I try to run a program and the task status panel shows "Status: Connecting to server". I'm using a local server, connecting to data sets on a network drive. It gets stuck at this point and will not continue. I have tried restarting the PC but this does not help. I have tried multiple programs in different projects and none of them run. If I run the program from another PC it works fine. 

What causes this problem and how can I fix it? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Ah, that gives us another line to pursue.

Since the SAS instance is on your local machine, when you try to stop a query and it doesn't stop it means that very likely the local SAS instance is still chugging away, which may be consuming TONS of your machines resources.

The next time this happens, try opening Task Manager, and look for the "SAS 9.4 for Windows" (or something similar) background task.End that task, which will kill whatever SAS was doing. When you start up EG the next time, it will start a new SAS task.

Tom

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If its working fine on another computer then there must be something different about the setup of your computer that is causing the problem. How do you link to the the network drives where your data is stored? Do you map drive letters or to you point to the drive using a file share like \\MyFileServer\MyFolder?

David5
Fluorite | Level 6

Fortunately/unfortunately I've returned to work the following day and it's all working now. However, this is a reoccurring problem so I'm still interested in what problem-solving techniques I should be using next time.

To answer your question, although the drives are mapped to a letter, the libname is defined using what you've described as a file share (the path starts with \\). Is one of these ways better than another?

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Since EG is just running SAS on your local computer, try bringing up SAS standalone, and see if the log gives you any indications.

Tom

David5
Fluorite | Level 6
I'm still new to SAS so I wasn't aware this was an option. As I mentioned in another reply I'm back at work the following day and it's now working, but this is a reoccurring problem I'd like to know how to fix.

Do I just open up the "SAS 9.4" program and look at the log window? It doesn't appear to show anything when running a program in SAS EG. What should I be looking for?
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Yes, that's exactly correct. It's just something to rule out.

For example, it used to be the case that if your SAS license had expired, you'd get no information to that effect by starting up EG, but starting up SAS would display a clear message.

Intermittent problems are a royal pain! How often is it happening?

Tom

David5
Fluorite | Level 6
My work has only recently upgraded to Windows 10, and I didn't have an issue before then, but I was using SAS EG 5 and now I'm on 7 with SAS 9.4 so there are a few things that have changed since when it worked fine. I've had it happen three times in the last month or so.

Other possibly relevant information is it seems to start (2/3 times) when I try to stop a query and it won't stop cleanly. Possibly the server gets locked up in some way? Or on the other hand maybe it's not stopping cleanly because the issue has already started.
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Ah, that gives us another line to pursue.

Since the SAS instance is on your local machine, when you try to stop a query and it doesn't stop it means that very likely the local SAS instance is still chugging away, which may be consuming TONS of your machines resources.

The next time this happens, try opening Task Manager, and look for the "SAS 9.4 for Windows" (or something similar) background task.End that task, which will kill whatever SAS was doing. When you start up EG the next time, it will start a new SAS task.

Tom

David5
Fluorite | Level 6
That's great info, thanks! Next time I have an issue, this is the first thing I'll try. Thanks for the help!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation