BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Euripedes
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I'm looking to find a way to run an .EGP file from the Unix command line in unattended mode (or noninteractive mode, as SAS usually calls it). My current setup is a Windows client and Unix server, with .EGP files saved in Unix filesystems.

I'm used to submitting .SAS programs with the following command in Unix:

> nohup /sas_installation_path/sas -sysin "/program_path/program_filename.sas" &

This allows me to leave programs running whenever I'm in transit and need to shutdown/hibernate/sleep the client machine (laptop).

I'd like to do the same with Enterprise Guide projects, but without the need to export them as code.

Is this even possible?

Thank you,

Euripedes

5 REPLIES 5
Quentin
Super User

Hi,

You will probably get more responses if you post this in the Enterprise Guide forum.

I suggest taking a look at this paper from Chris Hemidinger:

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings12/298-2012.pdf

From a quick glance, looks to me like this approach would have the job be started from windows, not Unix.  I don't know whether you could shutdown the PC after starting the job.

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If my understanding is correct, EG projects can only be run by EG itself (a full EG environment is required). EG is a Windows-only SAS client tool, built using Microsoft's .NET. Therefore I think you may be stuck with exporting your code for it to run on Unix.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Hi, Euripedes

I'm in accord with the previous responses. EG is a Windows-only product, and I believe the only way to run it "unattended" is to use Windows automation features, as described in the paper referred to by Quentin.

The SAS code that is submitted by EG, on the other hand, can be run in Unix environments, but as you said it needs to be external to the EG project. This is quite feasible, by the way.

The previous responses are correct, that if you have an EG project running, your Windows workstation can't be restarted.

Some comments:

1. There are a variety of options within the SAS ecosystem that could be used to accomplish your objectives. Some discussions with your SAS account manager may be in order.

2. Definitely post this to the Enterprise Guide forum, to get Chris' attention. He's the gold standard on this subject.

Tom

esjackso
Quartz | Level 8

I believe if memory serves you can have links to programs in EG that it will edit and update. So a possible solution may be to have the programs external to EG so they can be batched as needed, but when the project is opened in EG they can still be edited and ran from the project flow.

Not knowing the full situation this approach may or may not be viable, but thought I would post it.

EJ

Euripedes
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

Thank you all for your replies, they've been very helpful.

I'll post the question on the EG forum as you suggested.

Best,

Euripedes

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation