BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Forum,

I'm using SAS EG 5.1 (64 bit) on Windows 7.

I'm trying to Rank some Order Dates & Customer numbers.

I've sorted the dates in the previous Query Builder & then added a Ranking Task.

I've added the 'Order Dates' to the 'Columns to rank' area of the Rank wizard & 'Customer Number' to the 'Rank By' area.

I then select 'Descending' in the 'Rank By' fields sort order & run the task.

No matter what I do, it always sorts in Ascending order.

I've tried sorting the previous node the other way but no use.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The Rank Data task is used to compute a rank across one or more numeric variables in the input data.  Usually you would use this to assign an ordinal rank to a quantitative variable, such as "Sales amount" or "Units Sold".  You would not use it to rank time series data (like Dates) or ID variables (like a Customer ID Number).

The "Rank By" role is for grouping purposes, not for sorting.  For example, if you wanted to compute the rank for Customer Sales in each Country, Customer Sales would be the Rank variable and Country would be the Rank By.  The output would include rank output (1, 2, 3, and so on) for each value of Country within your data set.

The output data is not sorted by rank.  If you need the data sorted, you can feed the output data set into a Sort Data task or the Query Builder.

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is, but you might be interested in this sample for creating a Top N report in SAS.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Can anyone suggest any tutorials on how to use the Rank Task so I can find what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again.Smiley Happy

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The Rank Data task is used to compute a rank across one or more numeric variables in the input data.  Usually you would use this to assign an ordinal rank to a quantitative variable, such as "Sales amount" or "Units Sold".  You would not use it to rank time series data (like Dates) or ID variables (like a Customer ID Number).

The "Rank By" role is for grouping purposes, not for sorting.  For example, if you wanted to compute the rank for Customer Sales in each Country, Customer Sales would be the Rank variable and Country would be the Rank By.  The output would include rank output (1, 2, 3, and so on) for each value of Country within your data set.

The output data is not sorted by rank.  If you need the data sorted, you can feed the output data set into a Sort Data task or the Query Builder.

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is, but you might be interested in this sample for creating a Top N report in SAS.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Chris,

In the end I got around it by coding 'ROW_NUMBER() (Partition by...).

Cheers

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation