BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
__Renee__
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I think this will be an easy question to solve. I'm using SAS EG 6.1.

I have IDs for students and I have all the classes these students attend, what I want is how many students attend each class. I need the data to join with another table that has the same information just a few days older, so I can't just use count and get the answer through summary tables (plus I have other numerical data that I also need the same trick for). I feel like I am over-looking a simple solution, so please feel free to say something you think should be obvious. My boss uses regular SAS while I've trained on EG, sometimes we have a hard time communicating.

What I want is a table something like this:

ClassNew Number of Students in classOld Number of Students in classNew dataOld dataNew dataOld data
English 1011417##

#

#

Thanks for your help!

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

You need to use the Query tool, but you haven't provided enough information about your data to provide help beyond that.

You'll join the two tables based on some criteria, again can't say without the data.

__Renee__
Fluorite | Level 6

Okay, so there are a few hundred classes and thousands of students. We compare yesterdays data, to data from the day before  (eg 20Nov2014 to 19Nov2014) to see how the classes are doing, what has changed, etc. So I need to count how many students are in each class along with a few other college stats like FTE. I'm rewriting an old program, taking it on as my own, and recreating it through enterprise guide. Looking at the SAS program doesn't help me very much because this old program uses functions I don't know how to use. I'm new to SAS programing and am better at EG. Here is a sample of what I am trying to recreate through EG:

PROC MEANS NOPRINT SUM N MEAN MAXDEC=2;

VAR CREDIT FTES; BY course;

OUTPUT OUT= YEAR2SUM

SUM = OLDCRHR OLDFTE

N = OLDCRED OLDSEAT

MEAN = OLD_CREDIT OLDMSEAT; RUN;

I know I'll need to use the query builder and use a full join to combine the needed data fully. I just need to know how to sum up categories, all the students in a particular class - on down the list of classes, along with all the FTE (full-time equivalent - basically a number that measures student credit hours) for that Class.

The data I'm using has student IDs, Classes, departments, divisions, FTE, credits, academic period. I cannot show the actual data because it is confidential.

I hope this is more clear. Thank you

Reeza
Super User

That's why you generate sample data that's fake but illustrates your issues.

Anything in Proc Means should be reproducible via a Summary Task, you'll need to determine where to place each variable though.  For example credits/ftes goes under analysis, course under group by, under stats requested you can select the stats you need.

__Renee__
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Reeza for your help in this. I think I've figured out what I was trying to ask. My problem was a mixture of trying to do too much at once and forgetting how powerful the 'group by' section is in the query builder. Without properly using the group by function I was getting crazy numbers. Next time I have a question I'll be sure to create some sample data.

Cheers,

Renee

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Also, don't forget the ability of PROC MEANS (Summary Statistics task) to group output by CLASS variables.  This can be more efficient than BY groups (doesn't require sorted data) and it's a little more intuitive than accomplishing the same thing in the Query Builder.

Here's what it looks like with sample CLASS data in the task, using "Sex" as a classification:

summ_class.png

And here's the output:

summ_class_output.png

There are several conference papers about this approach -- here's a link to one of them.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
__Renee__
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Chris!

I'll keep class in mind too! In fact I'll test it out on my reports today and see if that works better anywhere.

- Renee

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation