BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Enterprise Guide hung for me yesterday evening. With that slow creeping horror, I realised that I couldn't remember when I'd last saved the project I was working on.

I should have known better, it's something I tell other people to do frequently, in fact, had told someone else the same day. EG for me, is just a little unstable and prone to suddenly choking, I SHOULD have known better.

I left EG sitting there last night, and this morning there was an error message box stating that a "required resource was not found". I clicked OK hoping that EG would pick itself back up. It hasn't yet, and there is still a little message box there with nothing in it, no message, no button.

Checking the date on the file, I found that I last saved on Friday last week (Gah! You idiot!) and have made many many small changes since then.

Is there any sort of auto-save or recovery option that will allow me to get back what I've done? Failing that a large mallet with which to repeatedly bash myself over the head till I get the message that I need to save after every change I make.
7 REPLIES 7
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Unless Chris@SAS can come up with a magic bullet, I can direct you to a good place to buy wooden mallets.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Sorry to say, there is no auto-save/recovery option in EG 4.1.

Good news: it's coming in 4.2. That's probably small consolation for you right now though...

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
deleted_user
Not applicable
I've had this happen to me on 3 instances in the past 3 months and have since learned my lesson and save a new copy every hour or so. EG does not seem like a very stable application.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
If you are having issues like this, you should try to resolve the problems with SAS Technical Support. They will collect information such as your EG version, hotfix level, event log data, etc. and advise you accordingly.

If you indeed have a repeatable scenario where EG hangs/crashes, we certainly want to know about it so that we can fix it for you.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
deleted_user
Not applicable
For the past couple years one quick way to recover an EG project which has been corrupted is to search for the cached copy which gets saved in a Temp directory locally.

Although I've not seen it documented anywhere when a remote EG project opens it gets written to the temp folder unique for the PID of that EG session. As changes are made to the EG project they are written to this local copy.

The actual path depends upon the EG installation. C:\Temp\SDSPID####\MyFile.egp

When you save the changes to the original remote location these working copies of the project remain and end up being usuable replacements for the lost projects This allows the users to quicky recover and or find old versions of projects.
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
looks like a similar folder is established in release4.2
On Vista which sets up TEMP a bit differently, the path is C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\SEG16472\SDSPID16472
where 16472 is presumeably the processID
4.3 seems to have a similar structure but with additional folders alongside SDSPID#####
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
EG 4.2 (and 4.3) now support autosave/recovery. You can set the autosave interval within Tools->Options.

Again, we would want to address any problems you have with the application ending prematurely -- so let us know via tech support tracks. But I hope that the autosave feature provides a safety net for you.

Chris

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation