BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mbenedet
Calcite | Level 5

Our company recently upgraded to SAS EG 5.1 and in the process, our ODBC connection that we used to utilize through Microsoft Access are now gone and we need to rebuild them. We have instructions on how to rebuild them, but is there something different after the upgrade as when we have tried, the connections are not working.

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Are you using the 64-bit version of EG 5.1?  If so, you probably are missing the 64-bit ODBC providers that you need.

See "Considerations for SAS Enterprise Guide" in this article:

Are 64-bit client applications twice as good as 32-bit applications? - The SAS Dummy

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
mbenedet
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Chris...no, we are using 32-bit.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

In that case, you might need to work through this with SAS Tech Support.  They'll want to see that your ODBC connections are available to other applications as well (you can usually test in Excel, for example).  If this is using a LIBNAME statement (SAS/ACCESS to ODBC), then is it possible that your SAS session is now 64-bit instead of 32-bit?

More details on your setup are needed, and SAS Tech Support can ask the right questions.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
mbenedet
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Chris. I checked the configuration details and it says it is not running as a 64-bit process.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

It would be helpful if you provided more details on your OBBC setup and how you are trying to access your OBBC connections. Are these client-side or server-side ODBC connections? Do you use EG tasks or SAS code to access them? 

mbenedet
Calcite | Level 5

Hi SASKiwi...what we are doing is creating the connections through the ODBC Admin 32-bit driver connection. We are using all of the instructions that they provided with regards to the ODBC setup and making sure we use our particular Libraries or Servers, but no luck. We are basically trying to access those ODBC connections through Microsoft Access to run some of our database queries. I know that they are working on a solution for us, but I am trying to get it resolved sooner. We have certain work to be processed and under some deadlines that are in jeopardy because of this issue.

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I suspect that you (or your IT department) made some other changes at the same time that caused ODBC to break.  I had no problem at all with ODBC when I went from 32 bit EG 4.3 to 32 bit EG 5.1.  Chris' advice to go through tech support is spot on.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation