BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tc
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 tc
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Any date for the next release of SAS LE? And any plans to unlock SAS/AF in the next release?
6 REPLIES 6
deleted_user
Not applicable
I've concluded that LE 4.1 is not compatible with MS Windows Vista. Is that what other folks are finding?
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
On the System Requirements site:
http://support.sas.com/training/le/require.html
the systems supported are:
"SAS Learning Edition 4.1 was tested and is supported on Microsoft Windows 2000 and XP Professional only."

Questions about the Learning Edition (such as whether SAS/AF will be included in an upcoming release) can be directed to:
SAS Learning Edition
1-800-727-3228
learninged@sas.com

cynthia
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
SAS Institute has since updated the Tech Support web site to explicitly state that SAS LE 4.1 is not supported under Vista. SI also lists the 9.1.3 products supported under Vista in

http://support.sas.com/techsup/pcn/vista.html

Of note, EG is not included on the list of supported products either.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
For those working in an academic environment, you might want to take a look at SAS OnDemand for Academics -- a new offering that uses SAS Enterprise Guide to connect to a SAS-hosted compute environment.

Here is a place to start for more information:

http://blogs.sas.com/sascom/index.php?/archives/86-SAS-in-the-class-on-demand.html

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I read the blog referenced in Chris' post. It just raises the question of when EG 4.1 will be upgraded to support Vista in regular production since it supports Vista in the SAS-on-demand. Some of my students with new computers are having to go back and back-fit with XP.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Doc, I saw your comment on the blog post and responded with the official company line about Vista support.

But we're all friends here in this forum, right? So I can tell you a little more about what I know without implying any additional official support?

I can say I have heard anecdotes from adventurous folks running EG 4.1 on this platform. What problems must they overcome? (I post these notes for those who are curious -- please don't take this information as a statement of official support. All such official statements are at http://support.sas.com/techsup/pcn/vista.html.)

1. System requirements: EG 4.1 requires .NET 1.1. On Vista the EG install doesn't detect its absence, so it must be installed manually.

2. Installation: Vista's user account control can sure get in the way. Those entertaining PC/Mac commercials ("Cancel or allow?") don't exaggerate much.

3. Some UI oddities -- strange UI appearance for some tasks -- but if you have the latest EG 4.1 hotfix, this shouldn't be an issue. Note that EG hotfixes are good for production EG, not for SAS Learning Edition.

That's what I know. There may be additional issues that I don't know about; I'm speaking from our experience of creating a Vista-ready application for the SAS OnDemand environment and our work for EG 4.2, which has full support for Vista.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation